Oil type on new/rebuilt engine

What oil would YOU use in a brand new/rebuilt Vortec 350

• Synthetic Blend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheapest Conventional - whatever's on sale at Walmart/Costco/Auto parts store that day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brad Penn is what I use now. I used to use Royal Purple but it's too expensive. If I can't use it, I'd use regular valvoline.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so my engine was rebuilt in December I put on about 4000 miles on it already. Then the cylinder head cracked. Put a used one that needs to be milled valve job etc. Do I use break in oil again? Straight 30 Royal purple Or can I use something like this royal purple break in oil. For all 5 quarts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing that breaks in is rings to cylinders and flat tappet cam to lifters, everything else just wears out.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright coolio so just regular 10-30 RP should be good?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you mean they replaced the cracked head, or the entire block? If it's still that same block with the messed up starter holes then I certainly wouldn't waste money on royal purple. That engine will be back out of the truck before your next oil change.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why? I'm getting them tapped with two more new holes. N putting a race starter on it. Check it out
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why? I'm getting them tapped with two more new holes. N putting a race starter on it. Check it out

Don't get me wrong, I hope it works for you, but judging by the looks of the cracks in that pic you posted I wouldn't hold my breath. They're just going to expand eventually and you'll be back in the same situation.