Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always used to just change my oil every 6 months. Mileage was always 2500-3000 after that time. I got a new job 6 months ago, further from home than the old one. I forgot the mileage I had changed it at until about 2 weeks ago and realized in a panic that I had almost 5k on the same oil. I don't have a place to wrench in the winter time so I made an appointment at a local good wrench place to have it changed.

I was sitting at a red light about two blocks away from the good wrench center oil pressure was at about half way between 0 and 40 which is normal. Light turns green and as I hit the gas the oil gauge bottoms out and the check gauges light comes on for about a half a second. Then the oil pressure jumps back up immediately and all seems normal as I get to the shop.

After the oil change it didn't do it again.

Fast forward to yesterday, about 2 weeks after my oil change. Sitting at a red light and my oil pressure gauge is reading lower then I've ever seen it before, no check gauges light but still lower then normal

You must be registered for see images attach

I realize these trucks don't need much oil pressure but the change has me worried. I am used to having two vehicles and atm I only have one so I panic about this stuff.

No difference in feel/sound of the motor, do have a squeak coming from what sounds like the belt. I do not have a short drive to work but the truck does idle a decent amount as I have to leave the property to smoke on my 3 breaks per work day.

Whatdaya think?

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
Could possibly be a bad oil pressure switch

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

depends on what weight of oil they put back in it as well. the lighter the weight the thinner is is. its even thinner in a warm/hot engine. hope that will answer your queston a bit. and no oil pressure before you changed it could be if the oil was lower than the dipstick , and you taking off, the oil pump didnt pick up the oil due to the momentum of taking off and when the truck was leveled out then the pump picked it up. just saying "if" it was that low. that is possible to happen. couldve happend if you took a curve or a corner as well

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depends on what weight of oil they put back in it as well. the lighter the weight the thinner is is. its even thinner in a warm/hot engine. hope that will answer your queston a bit. and no oil pressure before you changed it could be if the oil was lower than the dipstick , and you taking off, the oil pump didnt pick up the oil due to the momentum of taking off and when the truck was leveled out then the pump picked it up. just saying "if" it was that low. that is possible to happen. couldve happend if you took a curve or a corner as well

5w-30

Shouldn't have been low, it burns a tiny bit of oil but I keep an eye on the level. I've never had to add more than half a quart.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
5w-30

Shouldn't have been low, it burns a tiny bit of oil but I keep an eye on the level. I've never had to add more than half a quart.
i put 5w30 in mine last time cuz was alkl they had, and it registered the same as yours did. i usually put 30wt or sometimes 10w30. and it registers higher

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is just a comment but my truck when i first got it the gauge would be dropped at the bottom and would go up or wouldnt when id drive it i made it from my house to the shop (about 4 miles) had to replace oil pump

now idk if thats your problem but theres a possibility maybe

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
its right behind the dizzy on the block with a plug hooked to it about 4inches long. you will have to unscrew that to hook a gauge up to it