Oil Pressure Needle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I screwed up....

I pulled my oil pressure needle off and put it back on and now it reads WAY off. How do I go about putting it back on so it reads correctly

It’s a 98k1500 5.7

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The obvious solution to me would be to borrow or rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge, hook that up, and reinstall the needle in the cluster to match the mechanical reading at idle.

EDIT - Or buy an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and get the reading straight off of the PCM with your phone or tablet...

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull the cluster, pull the needle, plug in the cluster, turn the key on, leave the engine off, install the needle at 0. Should be very close. I'm pretty sure the PCM doesn't see oil pressure on these trucks, I know it doesn't on GMT800's.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the PCM doesn't see oil pressure on these trucks, I know it doesn't on GMT800's.

I could've sworn I'd seen it in Torque on my '97s, but I just went outside and fumbled around trying to locate it and couldn't get my adapter to connect. Go figure... It did connect via DashCommand but I didn't see the PID for oil pressure in there at a quick glance.

On the bright side I did get a transmission temp working in DashCommand, which is something I've been meaning to do for like five years. :lol:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only way to correct this the correct way is to install a mechanical gauge and then reinstall the needle so it matches the reading on the mechanical gauge.