Oil pan upgrade and other upgrades.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My94K1500

Reaction score
I'm building a new engine for my 94 and was wondering if I should keep the baffled four quart pan or upgrade to the five quart to get more miles in between oil changes as I have to change my oil about once per month.

I also have a set of ready to go 461 heads and was curious if it was worth sacrificing my serpintine belt for the older v bet to use them; or if I should just go with the 991 heads. I would go vortec but I already have an intake and it's not compatible.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, have you ever had an oil analysis done by someone like Blackstone Labs? Reason I ask is you may be able to go much longer between changes without a new pan or anything like that. Next time you get it changed get a sample kit from them and send it in. It's $30 well spent IMO, and they'll let you know if there are any other problems like fuel or coolant in the oil.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a link to their website, you fill out a form and they'll send you a free sample kit. Comes with instructions and all the containers you need. You just grab a sample next time you're changing the oil and mail it to them. There's a little box to check on the form if you're interested in going further between oil changes.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you change from serpintine to v belt with those heads. Dont they have same accessory bolt pattern?

My94K1500

Reaction score
461 heads are the old camel hump head. They didn't come with accecory bolt holes at all and utilized brackets that bolted to the water pump. But they flowed 200cfm of air, had 2.02 1.60 valves, and 64 cc combustion chambers.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some 492 heads, the 2.02/1.6 heads GMPP sold over the counter for 30 some years I wouldn't use them on a tbi engine that was stock or near stock as you would lose some low end torque, 2.02s are for performance cammed engines.

My94K1500

Reaction score
That's another reason I'm thinking of using 991 heads , they had the smaller valves. And I'm going to go with the atomic efi.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you have a 4x4 ....a 7 quart milidon pan WILL fit that's what I shoe horned in