oil pan drop and gasket question for a 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone ever drop their oil pan on a 4x4 with it all bolted in the truck? Will it drop and come around and such to clear the front diff. pickup and things so it can be completely removed?

Also I got a one piece gasket, it's like rubber or silicone outside top and bottom and metal inside, would that be reusuable? should I use a thin coat of rtv when putting the pan back on reusing this gasket?

I think I got something flopping around in there and need to check it out.

The gasket aint very old, even though it doesn't matter much, I rebuilt the thing about a year or 2 ago and now something seems loose and radndom, causing a knocking noise but it's random, just like if something where getting thrown around, hit the crank and flung off. Runs fine, just has the knock that's very random and sounds like something hitting the fan, I would think a rod nut or something would have caused engine failure by now.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
The best way...remove the ifs chunk...

don't reuse the gasket....it's not a easy job to access the oil pan, so why risk an oil leak by reusing the gasket...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done it on my 2wd, but never on a 4wd, I agree, don't reuse the gasket either.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I would not reuse the pan gasket I don't care what brand or how old it is.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't wanna pay $30 for a gasket when there may be nothing wrong anyways. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Reaction score
i also need help with this. i got leak in the front of mine im losing about a qt every week, ive heard you have to lift the engine (i hope not) i have a 2d 4wd as well. any write ups on this???

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you checked your bolts? maybe they come loose? But no help so far I'm working on checking my flexplate first.

Reaction score
have you checked your bolts? maybe they come loose? But no help so far I'm working on checking my flexplate first.

u know what i haven't even checked that! lol. ill be pissed if i check and that's all it is. the engine is brand new only got it running about a month ago. the guy at the shop told me it was the gasket but i needed to get it home so i said i would do it myself. but ill check that today