Oil leak at lower intake bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well crud, I'm still getting oil in between the lower intake and gasket. Got a drip on starter bolts again.

I had cleaned the hell out of it and dried it with compressed air. New Felpro gasket and GM valve cover torqued to spec.

There's no oil under the intake bolt head...so where could this be coming from?

With the crooked-ass valve cover, I thought I had a winner.

Do y'all think I can remove the intake bolt, reapply the thread sealant and torque it down? I don't even know if that's where it's coming from--just thinking maybe it's coming up along the bolt threads since, at one point, there was oil under the bolt head. Since I torqued it down, it quit leaking from there.

It's bolt #1 in the three-pass intake tightening sequence, not sure if it'd matter or not.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dragging this back up, I replaced the distributor a couple weeks ago and got a better look at the back of the block. The RTV seal between the lower intake and block is wet with oil at the back. Add to that the continued leak between the intake gasket and intake at cylinder #2, I have a nice oil drip on the starter.

Is this just a shoddy intake install or could something else be going on? I’ve heard of the PCV system causing too much pressure, but am not too familiar with that. The PCV valve rattles, so I assume it is good?

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that's not from a leaking valve cover gasket? I'd clears it off real well and run it to see if you can pin point it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought it was at first because the valve cover was warped and bent from someone prying up on it. I replaced it with a new GM cover and Felpro gasket, torqued it to spec and cleaned off the area.

It just looks like it’s coming from the top of the gasket right under the intake.

The driver side is not leaking.

How is that possible without having coolant leaking too?

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I’ll add a coolant leak after all.

It’s leaking at the bottom of the idiot-ass heater hose connection on the intake. Still not sure why I’m seeing oil on the intake, though.

What a crappy design. Going to pray it doesn’t crack apart in the intake and replace it with an NPT/hose barb fitting.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll post the solution to close this out in case someone else chases their tail like I did.

The intake gasket was damaged near cylinder #2, presumably when the Jasper reman was installed. I’d guess they dropped the intake corner onto it.

Coolant was leaking on that side and the second intake bolt was leaking oil. Best guess is that the coolant got under the gasket and weakened the thread sealant on the bolt but who knows if it was ever there to begin with.

The first bolt on the front passenger corner was finger-tight.

Replaced the gaskets and injectors and it’s all good to go now.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the intake is still off then it would be a good time to double check valve lash.

Did you end up buying a new coolant hose?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put I back together last weekend. Ended up with another hose for the quick connect. I used a nipple for the one in my truck and couldn’t get the threads to quit leaking when using the red permatex.

I’ve since learned that pipe dope would probably solve it. If/when this one leaks, I’ll revisit it.