Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anti-drain back valves fail to the degree this thread's poster claims?
Where does the oil that drains out from the pan when the filter is removed come from?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I suspect that it's not the oil filter causing your clatter. Seems like old motor stuff to me.
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an oil filter which has an anti-drainback valve which doesn't fail after a month or so. This would be for the K1500 in my signature. I've used filters from AC Delco, Purolator (Red one), Bosch(?) and WIX. They all last about two weeks before they fail, leaving me with a second or so of lifter clatter on start-up once they do.

Prefer an ADV made of Silicone rubber.

exactly which WIX filter number have you been using ? The one with a short-lived ADV ? Which WIX ?

* if you've been using WIX 51036 (18 x 1.5mm thread) --- try Purolator ONE PL24011 (BLUE) or Purolator BOSS PBL 24011 (BLACK) they both supposed to have a silicone ADV --- the red one does Not.

Today would be what I'd call day 1 of the new filter. It's the 2nd start after I changed the oil, after the engine sat all night. No clatter on start-up. Hopefully it'll stay that way the entire OCI. Oil filter used: M1-201A (Mobil 1).

I would've went with the Purolator ONE option, but the only store near me which carries Purolator (Advance Auto), only had the BOSS option. They wanted nearly $20 for that dham filter and maybe I'm just getting old, but I do not recall any on-the-shelf filter being that expensive, short of the ole Kendra & Natalie brand. Which a member did recommend, but before I'm ready to get shafted with that kind of price, I'll need some lube.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today would be what I'd call day 1 of the new filter. It's the 2nd start after I changed the oil, after the engine sat all night. No clatter on start-up. Hopefully it'll stay that way the entire OCI. Oil filter used: M1-201A (Mobil 1).
Great! --- please update us regularly throughout this OCI --- good or bad --- about how your "new" Mobil filter M1-201A is performing, and if your motor continues being quiet.

? questions: do you recall what is the color of ADV in Your M1-201A ? Also any CoO on box/filter ? Also, what brand & weight oil are you using this current OCI ?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
10-4

Black, I think. Didn't pay attention to the box other than for it's number.

Quaker State 5W-30, full synthetic.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Menards is a good 20 to 30 minutes from me..

2nd day report: Rattle returns, noticed it like normal when I left work yesterday. On start-up this morning, it rattled, but just a wee bit. Either this filter's ADV checked out or I've got old engine issues. It's going to go in for service I'm too lazy to do in a few months, I'll add that to the list.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either this filter's ADV checked out or I've got old engine issues
Right there with you.... Driving me crazy..
Latest dut is Mobil 1 filter and Mobil 1 5w30 with same results

are you only getting rattle at first start of day?
Mine is like roulette... None on cold, some cold, some warm, none warm, some warm after sitting for 2 minutes...etc....

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have used K&N oil filters exclusively for my '92 K1500 suburban and Castrol High Mileage 10-40 and never had any feedback from my engine! My OE engine has over 500k miles on it...

I suppose after I have the shop check the valvetrain I'll give Kendra & Natalie a shot. What model number filter would I need?

Right there with you.... Driving me crazy..
Latest dut is Mobil 1 filter and Mobil 1 5w30 with same results

are you only getting rattle at first start of day?
Mine is like roulette... None on cold, some cold, some warm, none warm, some warm after sitting for 2 minutes...etc....

Yep, this filter seems like money wasted. Looks pretty nice and felt heavy, so maybe it's better than the A/C Smelco's I've been spinning on there.

I'll hear the rattle any time it sits for a few hours or more. Lasts until the oil pressure gauge indicates it's making all the psi's.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lasts until the oil pressure gauge indicates it's making all the psi's.
My oil pressure goes right up but the tick will linger... Sometimes a couple seconds,,,sometimes nothing, sometimes it'll last a minute. Doesn't matter when or where it seems....but it always goes away...so far at least.......always passenger bank..... sounds like it alternates between #2 and #8 ...one start will sound like #8 ..another maybe #2.... but I haven't opened it up yet to verify...Hopefully this week I'll check it out... of course the truck will behave then and I'll be back to square one..lol