Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yukon is getting 11-13 empty and 9 with a trailer. We jumped in it to go to Atlanta with a U-haul car trailer. Fortunately the truck I was going to buy was a rusted up bondo buggy so we came back empty too. 9 up,9 back.
Don't know what the Avalanche gets for fuel economy,my brother hates it so much he won't drive it.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to my neighbor's 2500. Dealership almost wouldn't replace the o-ring without a fight from him. They did and everything was fine....
He showed me a video of the noise... it was very bad..... I can see how it would be easy to think the motor was checked out...

..I remember more details now. I learned the oil pick up is at the front of the engine, so I jacked it up sky high in the rear and dumped enough oil in to submerge where that o-ring lives. Fired it up and it was quiet with improved oil pressure. That's what convinced my old shop dude to put the truck under the knife.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My soon to be wife's 2002 Tahoe and it's 5.3

On the return trip the thing would start ticking above 2,000 rpm. Hmm, that's all she wrote... ...Stumbled upon articles about dudes replacing some o-ring in the oil pump's pick-up tube. Despite all the input I received directing us to replace the engine, we spent the ~$700 to replace that o-ring. Whaddya know? No more ticking on start-up, gauge in the truck reads nearly 60psi at cold start and it never dips below 35psi when hot now. 20k miles later and going strong.
People I know just dropped $1200 to replace that O-ring. Engine went another week, and now has zero oil pressure again.

Oooops.

I thought this O-ring thing was a fraud from the beginning. Kinda glad to find out I was wrong, at least in some cases. Doesn't help these people, though.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I was skeptical too. And then my once-a-year brilliant idea hit me to lift the rear up, dump oil in and check to see if it actually made a difference. I was over the moon when the noise went away. It was at that time I asked her how long it's been making that noise and she said ever since she got it, which I think was two or three years before she met me. Yikes.. So I told her the same thing, that it could last a week, a year or maybe more after the "surgery", but we wouldn't know until we did it, as who knows how much damage she did to thing running it like that. Glad it's paid for itself many times over now. Even if it does grenade this year, it got us another two years.. In an indirect way, it boosted my opinion of the LS. It's gotta be somewhat tough if you can starve the valvetrain for thousands of miles and still make it to 300k, right?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was skeptical too. And then my once-a-year brilliant idea hit me to lift the rear up, dump oil in and check to see if it actually made a difference. I was over the moon when the noise went away. It was at that time I asked her how long it's been making that noise and she said ever since she got it, which I think was two or three years before she met me. Yikes.. So I told her the same thing, that it could last a week, a year or maybe more after the "surgery", but we wouldn't know until we did it, as who knows how much damage she did to thing running it like that. Glad it's paid for itself many times over now. Even if it does grenade this year, it got us another two years.. In an indirect way, it boosted my opinion of the LS. It's gotta be somewhat tough if you can starve the valvetrain for thousands of miles and still make it to 300k, right?
Again, that O-ring issue is an LS (aka GEN III) problem ONLY. Entirely different engine architectures; especially true of oil/lube systems. Apples and Oranges.
The (GEN Ie) iron head Vortec L31+L30 V8s and 4.3L V6 do Not have any pickup tube O-ring to fail.
Same also true for Big Block motors; No O-ring.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, that O-ring issue is an LS (aka GEN III) problem ONLY. Entirely different engine architectures; especially true of oil/lube systems. Apples and Oranges.
The (GEN Ie) iron head Vortec L31+L30 V8s and 4.3L V6 do Not have any pickup tube O-ring to fail.
Yup,only worry with those is the oil pump pickup falling out and into the pan. Some guys tie wire or spot weld them to the pump. I don't and have never had one back out.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
No it's not, it's the same engine, fool! /s.

"Donnie, you are out of your element! You're like a small child that wanders into the middle of a room amidst a conversation and wants to contribute.."

..You need to read from the start of my thread. The LS engine O-ring is a side story.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it's not, it's the same engine, fool! /s.

"Donnie, you are out of your element! You're like a small child that wanders into the middle of a room amidst a conversation and wants to contribute.."

..You need to read from the start of my thread. The LS engine O-ring is a side story.
No, I don't. I read thru its entirety.

That fact you KNOW it's a side story is all the more good reason that you shouldn't have included it --- BECAUSE
It can & will confuse others who don't yet understand the differences between platforms. This very "fog" is what causes the less-informed to chase after an O-ring that doesn't exist in their GEN I/GEN Ie/GEN II sbc
I made MY comment to help "clear" any fog you may've inadvertently created; to help others.
Carry on.

Last edited:

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can bad valve stem seals also be a cause of the few tap startup deal?
I'm unable to envision how VSS could affect a tap/tapping.

However, if the VSS is a metal-clad type, And ALL its polymer is essentially stripped away... And If what remains of VSS is little more than a thin-wall steel shell... then I can imagine that "shell" bouncing around might make a tapping sound. I've seen lotsa metal-clad VSS; some of those were worn-out. But I've never seen one stripped of all rubber etc.