oil filter c and k 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know the c 1500 and k1500 have the oil filter going 2 different ways due to the driveshaft, but i thought i read somewhere its not necessary, or using a short filter
asking because I'm droping a engine from a c 1500 into my k 1500
always hate changing the filter, does anyone else always end up tearing the filter apart trying to remove it, not sure if it pointing down would make it easier

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never destroyed a filter during removal. Do you oil/grease the o ring on the new filter before you put it on?

And personally (if it is possible) I think pointing down would still be a PITA because of the fronr drive shaft.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, i always put some oil on it, but always seems like i have to keep tightning it to keep it from leaking, usualy use fram, if that matters
but should the oil filter adapter just bolt on to the other engine?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should interchange because an engine block in these trucks is not 2wd or 4x4 specific so the mounting should be the same.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's why I use a filter socket, extension and ratchet to remove mine. I too thought of putting on a short car style filter and remove the adapter but I never tried it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the striaght filter on my 92 and do find it easier then the flat sitting one on the 98, plus not stupid leaking oil lines to deal with. Stock you have to use the short filter, long one will hit the driveshaft. After the suspenion lift I used the long one but past couple oil changes havent been able to find them at the store to buy so have just gone with the short filter.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't remember which is which I think it's a fram ph8 or 4 something. I know one of them is a ph8. the other is ph something maybe 4 or 6? I forget.

Look up a filter for say a 305 monte carlo ss around 85 or so on advance or something and get the part number.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The short one i use is a ph5 fram filter, Quaker state is same number different letters. Thought the longer one was ph3 but has been a while since bought one.