Oil Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994Shy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know this has been discussed at length pretty much everywhere but I just wanted to see what y'all are using for oil. Currently running pennzoil 5w30 full synthetic. Should I use high mileage? 194,000. Thinking of switching to conventional oil and changing at 2500 miles because I keep hearing synthetic is bad in older engines because of it having high detergent. What has been your experience?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
As long as it's not leaking out keep running what you are.

The high mileage oils have additives to keep the seals soft. So use that if you have some seepage around the seals.

If your engine leaks as much oil as mine does use conventional oil and keep it clean.

If you have a flat tappet (95 and older) I recommend a high ZDDP oil.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I have only ever run Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic for the whole 163,000 mi life of my '96. I have fixed a few leaks over those years though, rear seal, oil pan, etc. I need to re-RTV the lower intake again since it has a small leak running down the back onto the start bolts. You are probably right about the cleansers, when i had my pan off I was amazed at how clean the bottom engine was and was only light sludge in the pan. But, I also change my oil about every 3000 mi.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2500-mile routine oil changes are INSANE for virtually everyone.

Send off a few oil samples for lab analysis. You'll be amazed at what you learn. Starting with how seldom you actually need to change the oil.

My 2003 Trailblazer gets a filter at 13,000 miles, and the oil topped-off as needed. I don't dump the oil until 26,000 miles, and the samples are showing the oil is still "fit for use". That vehicle only has 260,000 miles on it, so I don't know how the extended oil-change intervals are going to work out long-term; but so far, so good.

I put an engine in my '88 a few years ago. I'll probably send off a sample this spring, see what the report says. I did change the filter a couple of times, once at about 500 miles, and again at 1000 or so. And it has an azzwipe oil filter--a bypass filter in addition to the "stock" full-flow filter.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I usually use Valvoline High Mileage synthetic blend 5w-30 in everything I own, but of course the Walmart in my area doesn't want to stock it very often, so I recently put O'Reilly's black bottle conventional (since I get a good discount on it) 5w-30 in my 96 to see if it acts any different.

One thing to mention, whatever oil you get, don't get it an auto parts store, Walmart is much cheaper and you'll save money. Some people might tell you Walmart oil isn't as good as auto parts oil, which is a myth.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using Amsoil in everything I own for years.
Amsoil XL in all my vehicles; I "cheap-out" on lawn 'n' garden equipment, and friends 'n' family by using NAPA (Valvoline) 5W30 full synthetic that I buy by the case when it's on sale. I've still got gallons of Amsoil XL; but the next time I place an order with them, I'm considering going to the Signature version.

Wix filters except when I'm gifted something else that other folks have bought but not used.

I've been using Detroit Diesel oil sample kits, but I used Caterpillar in the past. There's lots of different brands/labs.