OEM Shock Part Number? Anyone know this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the part number for the OEM shocks for my 91 c1500 regular cab long bed 5.7 w/f44 heavy duty chassis. I put larger wheels and tires on it but need to know the factory specs on the shocks so I can shop for something with those specs in mind.

Rock auto seems to think my factory shocks were monotubes in the front and I don't think that's the case. It certainly doesn't have monotubes on it now, but I guess they could have been swapped out by prior owners.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Rock auto has 4 different shocks for the front, only one says Monotube.

this sounds like your calling the dealer.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rock auto has 4 different shocks for the front, only one says Monotube.

this sounds like your calling the dealer.

Yeah that was my bad, didn't mean monotube. I educated myself. I was referring to the outside appearance which has the single cylinder with the plunger extending out of it vs the inner/outer tube design (the standard looking shock).

I am not sure what the term is for that style shock I described above, but my truck does not have that on the front.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
by design, monotube shocks are a better configuration then a twin tube..............if your swapping shocks, you want a monotube shock.

http://youtu.be/vrUuESt2Q9I

Last edited:

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While a monotube is obviously the superior design from a performance aspect, for my purposes I believe a twin tube actually fits my needs more. Here is why.

They cost a hell of a lot less money. Gabriel Ultras are 23 dollars each for this truck with free shipping. Bilsteins were over 60 each.
Gas charged twin tubes require less pressure to prevent fluid foaming. This means a more comfortable ride under normal circumstance. This is my main objective, everyday ride comfort.

Thanks for the info though, that video was helpful.