Occasional Hard Starts and High Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubbaSmthr

Reaction score
1995 K1500 TBI 5.7

Been having this problem ever since I got the truck. Occasionally the truck is very difficult to start, takes about 10-15 seconds at least, and it makes a slight knocking noise during these episodes as well.

Truck idles at about 1100-1200 in park, and 800-900 in gear. Truck has a hesitation between 1/2 and full throttle.

Codes were originally a 32 and 35. Replaced both the EGR and IAC. Code 32 went away. And now the code 35 is only set when sitting at a stop light. Replaced IAC connector x2, TPS, and O2 sensor, cleaned and rebuilt throttle body as well, no change.

I have checked the fuel pressure, and it is 12 psi, however I have not been able to get the truck to act up when checking the pressure.

Majority of the time the truck starts fine, its just every once in awhile that it does this, but the idling issue happens every time, regardless of how the truck started.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Filled the truck up today and the fuel gauge did not move off 1/4. Drove home parked it. Started it again, still did not move off 1/4. Came out a couple hours later and now it reads full.

Last edited:

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be building oil pressure quick enough. When oil pressure is sufficient the oil pressure switch will close completing the fuel pump circuit allowing the truck to start.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk