NV4500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrsavoie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
3rd gear synchro was going out in my 94 K3500. We pulled the transmission and found the pilot bearing was out and the throw out bearing looked to be of inferior quality.
The guy that had the truck before me had a new clutch put in about 25,000 miles ago. I wasn't impressed with the install job. Cheap parts and a lot of not tight bolts.

The trans we took out and the trans we are going to install have different shifter towers. We took out a square removable shifter and the replacement has a round - not removable shifter.

Now I have several questions:

#1. The pilot bearing was gone. What is the best to get and where?

#2. The throw out bearing didn't look to be to high of quality. What is the best and where?

#4. How much difference is there in the bolt patterns to the bell housing between the 94 and 96?

These bolt holes appeared to measure the same. I'm assuming the bolt patterns would be different enough that a tape measure would suffice. No caliper needed.

#5. How hard is it to swap the shift plate assemblies?

Will it make a difference that my 3rd gear synchro was out on the present trans? What all does this entail? Gasket?

The casting number on the trans we took out is C - 16812

The input shaft is bad on the NV4500 we took out.

Attachments

• NV4500 shifter 003.jpg
    NV4500 shifter 003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
  • NV4500 shifter 006.jpg
    NV4500 shifter 006.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3