NV3500 Tail Housing Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a 4 rail NV 3500 tail housing will swap onto a single rail ... something tells me the bearings and sizes are different.. I'm about to tear into a 4 rail to see and already have the single rail apart... of course.. out of the 3 3500's I have .. 2 are 4 rail 4wd and 1 is a 2wd single rail... and I really want to use the single...
any insight would be appreciated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 88-91 HM290/5LM60 are not the same transmission as the 1993 and later NV3500. Even tho they look similar. If any major parts swap at all I would be very surprised.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Ideally, Id like to use just the tail housing to convert the later 3500 I have from 2wd to 4wd.. I took the front half off the older 4 rail.. and did some measuring.. the input shafts are the same diameter @1.375 in both where the bearings run.. but that's where the similarities end. the running surface on the 4 rail is wider by a several thou than the single and the single rail bearing outer diameter is bigger. Also, the main shift rails on both are the same diameter. The countershaft bearings are totally different sizes (inner & outer). I still have to pull the whole assembly from the rear case for a comparo.. but from first glance up to now... It's looking like I might be on the hunt for a later 4wd version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk