Not sure where to post this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madd Tinkerer

Reaction score
The Gremlin has a interesting quirk . Every so often it seems to struggle to get going , thinking differential, has been known to spin rear wheels with very little effort . The other day it felt like i was towing a battleship any time i tried to accelerate quickly . Later on it was just fine. Transmission has fluid, and seems to operate correctly. Did about a week ago hear a loud clunk from somewhere thought it was a rock . It does seem to shudder a bit when hitting the brakes but I think that is a completely different issue. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated , if not will take it to the mechanic.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
This area is for feedback, help and suggestions for the forum itself. this should go in either transmission or a general area.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
G80 is the RPO code for the locking rear end - Eaton Gov-Loc is the unit in your truck. They're not known for being durable. It may be going bad. Or, someone may have serviced it with the wrong lubricant, or added a "friction modifier" or "posi" additive, which is a big no-no with the Gov-Loc. Plain 80W90 GL5 gear oil is what it wants, nothing for positrac, no additives.

I've linked an article I posted on Chevytalk here - it includes the exact text from a GM TSB regarding the use of additives in the truck G80 unit

You could try draining and re-filling with fresh lube to see if that helps its behavior. Be sure to look through the drained lube and in the bottom of the case for any "spare parts."

Richard

Last edited: