Noob Horse Power question! W/parts list.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pab's

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my truck. I would like 300-350 RWHP! I'm looking at using the following components, please advise. Thanks!

HEADS: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/overview/

CAM: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120700

INTAKE: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3704/overview/year/1992/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

HEADERS: Not sure which ones yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8059-1/overview/year/1992/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-2462-1hkr/overview/year/1992/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

Still unsure if I need a modded 350 TBI unit or a 454 but obviously I'm taking it into consideration. Would this set up gain me those numbers? I'm also upgrading the fuel pump to a 255lph unit, I swapped my clutch fan for dual electric set up, rear end upgraded to 3.73'see and full Y PIPE back exhaust has been upgraded.

Any helpful input is extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The link on the heads dosent work..

depending on the heads is where you will be getting most of your gains with a good cam.

your going to need a custom chip and a better fuel pump, i used a pump out of a 96up.

my old truck had a moderate 383 with a big cam and e-tec heads and i was only putting down about 350 to the wheels.

look into the ultimate TBI mods instead of the 454 tbi.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i had a whole thing typed out but lost it, heads no cam is eh i havent fully done mine yet to tell you how itll work, that intakes junk, want one go check my trash in the dump i just threw one out.

basically theres alot of no in your build, bad head choice which will make or break your hp/tq, are you tuning this engine? if not then dont both modding any part of it. the cam choice im finding is an allright choice never tuned one yet but itll be part of my rmeote supercharged build up.

350 tb modded well with in line return VAFPR will be best as it can adjust pressure under load for you. as for heads id go at least vortecs nothing less than that, im not a fan of them id rather go aaftermarket but if you can find a good set theyll do what you want. 454 tbi should be used around 400+ or if boosting otherwise your wasting volume plus the injector cycles are alot harder to tune with the 454 stuff.

efans area a great choice for sure.

intake choice, anything tbi specific dont use, garabge garbage garbage, for what you want since you power range is a bit higher, get a good 1800-2200 stall, and a single plane intake with an adapter for the tbi itself.

if your going this far into tuning id suggest adding a 3 wire 02 and wideband guage, as well as possibly going iat/MAF swap to help you even out your idle. while your in there changing out your prom and messing with masks look into the e fan control. If you dont want to stop there then black box or 411 swap it with cpcc.

Fueling, tpi or vortec pump, gut the regulator and run aftermarket like suggested if memeroy serves aero 13301 is a goodie.

exhaust NO! you want to keep your truck in your power range sure you can go over but you arent making power up top past 6k regardless as tbi sorta limits itself in all aspects of tuning to that rpm, theres exception but therefore id suggest not running long tubes, your using a injection system that excells at low rpm from factory and in all aspects of aftermarket/not stock form, ditch the y pipe crap go custom 2.5" dual with an x or h pipe, you need either of those and a good muffler, Jones/Dynomax/SLP/Magnaflow/Borla all decent choices.

350 to the crank is very possible, 310 to the wheels has been documented time and time again so your ideas are plausible but more research and better part selection is greatly needed.

REMEMBER IF YOU ARENT GONNA DEDICATE TIME TO DO THIS THEN YOU WONT ACHIEVE ANY OF THIS!

Pab's

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
Tyler you say the heads are bad, could you elaborate? I am planning on tuning, with mods like that it's a must. With all these mods I would obviously change out the fuel pump as stated on the initial post. I figured I would need to redo the exhaust, x pipe wase thought about already.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i cant see the other side of the head but it looks like a tbi head, flow rates and intake bolt pattern would help that, otherwise cc is a bit on the middle side meaning you might lower your cr in which bumpign it a hari over stock would be slightly more beneficial

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id just like to know why they list them as 87-95 only heads, id just spend the money on white performance heads or if you want to spend a grand grab some promaxx's