No Fluid Pressure - No Gears Forward or Reverse- NEED HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I bought a rebuild trans- 4l60E -it was driving shifting perfect for small trips less than 5 mi. first time on the highway about 15 mi. running fine on the way home I pulled up to a light stop and DONE will not go into any gear wont hold park nothing. So I tow it how and now If I start the truck run through the gears nothing- not even the old chevy clunk- but when I try to go back to park it starts grinding.What could cause this??? Any help is great Thanks

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are gonna be in the market for a rebuild. Pump maybe went (does not explain park problem) maybe rear sunshell grenaded. That's about all I got. Don't take what I said to heart, I'm not a transmission guru

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering though if the pump went out shouldnt it still hold Park???? Im no guru either

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
sounds like the transfercase not the trans.

it would hold park unless the case is in neutral or it broke the $1.50 clip in the tailshaft causing everything to be out of alignment, usually if you shift to 4wd it will get back drive movement when that clip breaks unless it really messed things up internally

if you are one of those guys that like to downshift the trans its very possible that clip broke, that is how it happens most of the time, its a common issue with the np241

Last edited:

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No down shifting for me, I tried ALL gears including 4X4 Hi and Lo Nothing. It is like the trans is not even their until I try to put it in park. Does the input shaft move forward to ingauge? Just wondering if I broke the ears off the Torque Converter causing it to no longer line up or be able to spin the shaft?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Honestly it's impossible to tell. The only torque converters I've ever seen broken on the snout were a bad batch from PI, and one of those was behind a cammed LQ9. As a wild guess I'd say it's something more in the rear of the case, possibly the low/reverse roller or output shaft.

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if maybe they gave me a trans case from a different year- I know the 94 will only interchange with 94' -I think because the bolt pattern but I am not sure. I thought that there were a couple years where they had a shorter shaft- so maybe I didnt brake the ears just groung them off because the Torque converter was to far forward????

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it very Common to snap the output Shaft- and I would guess it would grind the whole time in that case wouldnt it??? Just bouncing ideas here.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you actually looked under the truck to see if the driveshaft is turning? maybe the rear end is bad?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I was wondering if maybe they gave me a trans case from a different year- I know the 94 will only interchange with 94' -I think because the bolt pattern but I am not sure. I thought that there were a couple years where they had a shorter shaft- so maybe I didnt brake the ears just groung them off because the Torque converter was to far forward????

To answer your second question, that's impossible. Plastic retainers in the pump aren't going to grind away steel.

You need to check the fluid level with it running and in park (put the ebrake on) first. If it checks out okay, look for anything obvious like a broken shift linkage on the drivers' side of the transmission. If everything looks okay it's internal and needs to be torn down.