No fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olemus14

Reaction score
I have a 1994 c1500 Silverado and recently noticed that it does not have a fan clutch! I never noticed till now and I’m confused to why it doesn’t have one. It’s run great and doesn’t overheat but just confused to why it doesn’t have and if I had one if it will change/ hurt anything . Is there specific models that didn’t come with one?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think your 94 C1500 came without a fan clutch. In a nutshell, the fan clutch works best when is heated up enough and then when cools, especially when at highway cruising speed and there is plenty of air moving across the radiator, the clutch disengages and that can save you MPG. With a fan bolted in there without the fan clutch, your MPG will suffer.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your truck equipped with AC?
I have a 1994 c1500 Silverado and recently noticed that it does not have a fan clutch!

Post a picture, I'm sure we're all interested.

I'm assuming your fan turns all the time, is that correct?

Assuming you have an OE fan, the 1994 service manual probably has something relevant to say about the matter.

I can imagine, if the truck has no AC, GM might have eliminated the clutch and used a less aggressive fan.

The 1989 and 1991 service manuals suggests that not all have the clutch, as both bear this statement:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Olemus14

Reaction score

Assuming you have an OE fan, the 1994 service manual probably has something relevant to say about the matter.

I can imagine, if the truck has no AC, GM might have eliminated the clutch and used a less aggressive fan.

The 1989 and 1991 service manuals suggests that not all have the clutch, as both bear this statement:

Yes it is equipped with AC, however i did buy it with the it not working but I believe it’s just the compressor that needs to be replaced.
But yes the fan turns on and stays on the whole time.
This is how it looks

Olemus14

Reaction score
If it has no clutch it likelyt has a spacer to place the fan in the shroud properly. is there a spacer?

Also, vehicles into the 80s oftrn didnt have clutches. My 1977 ford LTD had a direct fan
Would this be the spacer?
I guess my question is if I should leave alone and just replace the water pump or add a clutch while I’m at it if it did come with one but it was just removed ?

Attachments

• IMG_6287.jpeg
    IMG_6287.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 4

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes it is equipped with AC, however i did buy it with the it not working but I believe it’s just the compressor that needs to be replaced.
But yes the fan turns on and stays on the whole time.
This is how it looks
It will not be just an a/c compressor that needs replaced. Compressor may be fine but needs to be diagnosed properly. If does need a compressor and anytime you open the system, you should flush it, replace compressor, orifice and accumulator, install the fan clutch and correct blade and correct fan shroud and correct radiator, if the correct radiator is not already in there. Depending on how long the system has been down, do the shrader valves and hoses. In other words, get ready to spend some money.