No Cat, Failed Emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccox

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 95 K1500 5.7. I took it to get emissions and it failed. I didn't even realize it, but there is no cat on there. The exhaust work done also looks old and pretty shotty. I'm going to get a direct fit flowmaster cat/y pipe. The current exhaust has no flange for me to connect the new y pipe. Without welding, how would you connect this? I

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Well you can either weld on a flange to the existing pipe to bolt in the new system, or you can just weld the Flowmaster system directly to the existing exhaust. I don't see a way around welding that will last....

ccox

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was hoping I didn't have to do. Is there a temporary solution without welding that you can think of? I basically just need it to pass emissions and then I will finish the rest shortly after. I didn't really want to waste the money on welding to an old POS system. Whoever put this exhaust on should never be allowed to touch a welder again. They welded like six 1 foot pieces together from the y pipe to the muffler.

ccox

Reaction score
They put it on a dyno. I didn't see what they actually did as far as visual. I know they saw I didn't have a cat and that was one part that failed. The other failure was the actual emissions.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
You can by these wide, thin bands that will join two pipes of the same size. They're not a great permanent solution, but work really well.

You just cut out the length of pipe that the cat is and clamp it down. You can even throw some exhaust putty on there to help.

Of course, if it's 96 and up you'll need a rear oxygen sensor. Hopefully all the wiring is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Ah, just saw it was a '95. Never mind in the rear O2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccox

Reaction score
I put in a Flowmaster y pipe with a cat. Had to put in a new O2 sensor since they welded the old one in. It smells so much better now. 2 of the studs snapped off so had to drill them out and tap new holes. Getting the y pipe welded/flanged to the exhaust on Friday. Then it's time to pass emissions!