No Brakes!!! Dangerous ride home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brother I don't care whether you believe me or not. If you want to deny it so be it.

I'm still going to be saying the same thing, do the proper job, do it to the best of your ability, protect and cya yourself from litigation. and I'm not going to reduce my standards for someone else not even the customer that could sue me if I don't do the proper job.. If your want to bandaid your stuff together one quick fix after another, that's also not my problem. To finish a race with a race car. a different story.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
:popcorn:

Yesterday, I knew while driving to someone's house that I lost my brake lights, on my girls 1990 K2500. I had pulled over to re-tie a load in the back and had flashers on. I took them off and then saw brake light and knew the brake lights did not work now. Drove very slow, enough to get flipped off, and used the hand out the window to signify braking. Got there and then saw that the fuse was a 10 amp and should have been 15 amp. Replaced and all fixed. ******* happens and we are stuck on the road with hand signals as a back up, in my case.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my state there's no safety inspection, and when there was, it was simply an exchange of $5 for a sticker. Nothing got inspected. I suspect it's like that in most states that have inspections. I'm all for an annual inspection like the British MOT inspection, but I want it to be a legit inspection, not just a money exchange.

Brother I don't care whether you believe me or not. If you want to deny it so be it.
I searched every post I made where I mentioned "machinist" and "machine shop" and couldn't find the post you're claiming. If you want to accuse me but don't want to provide evidence, I have no choice but to call you a liar.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I was a mechanic in KC, Mo., we did state vehicle safety inspections. I moved 28 years ago, so I don't know if they still do. When I did them, a new vehicle was exempt from the inspection for 2 years. The other vehicles were every year. We were trained and got certificates from the Highway Patrol after classes. We pulled wheels and inspected brake thickness and for leaks. You could have 2 w/s cracks all across the w/s and as long as the 3rd crack was less than 10" long, it passed. I actually saw a guy get failed for the w/s cracks spec and was in the back of a parking lot across the street and broke out the entire w/s and came back for a reinspection. We had to pass him and put the sticker on his dash because the guidelines did not say the vehicle had to have a w/s. Many other areas of inspection were done on a vehicle. A proper inspection could take as long as 30 minutes. This was back in 1980's.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When I was a mechanic in KC, Mo., we did state vehicle safety inspections. I moved 28 years ago, so I don't know if they still do. When I did them, a new vehicle was exempt from the inspection for 2 years. The other vehicles were every year. We were trained and got certificates from the Highway Patrol after classes. We pulled wheels and inspected brake thickness and for leaks. You could have 2 w/s cracks all across the w/s and as long as the 3rd crack was less than 10" long, it passed. I actually saw a guy get failed for the w/s cracks spec and was in the back of a parking lot across the street and broke out the entire w/s and came back for a reinspection. We had to pass him and put the sticker on his dash because the guidelines did not say the vehicle had to have a w/s. Many other areas of inspection were done on a vehicle. A proper inspection could take as long as 30 minutes. This was back in 1980's.
Texas used to be like that too.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for my K1500, I've got those "crappy" duo servo rear brakes. I can always tell when they need to be adjusted by pedal feel
You've got the crappy Leading/Trailing shoe brakes. The Duo-Servo brakes are the upgrade for them.

I spent ten years in the Auto Repair industry. Couldn't wait to get the hell out of that "career" path.

The general public won't/can't/don't know enough to empty the crumb tray on their toasters, and that's free and easy with no requirement for buying tools or service manuals. Thinking that ordinary people will pay attention to their cars is overly-optimistic. GM gave up on people reading their owner's manuals in the early 1960s. American drivers--generally--are absolutely clueless and getting worse.

This is why they have to have backup cameras, and "adaptive" cruise control, and lights that tell them when some other car is beside them on the highway. It's why there's research into driverless vehicles, even though autopilots in aircraft still have failures. Most drivers are absolutely oblivious about their surroundings, and about their automobile.

Those of us on various automotive forums like this one--looking for help, or providing advice--are the <5% of our nation's motor vehicle operators. Maybe <2%. OUR experiences, attitudes, and priorities with regard to our vehicles completely mystify most folks.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh, I always mix stuff like that up.

It's funny you mention all of the driving aids. Even with all of that fluff at their disposal, people still can't stay in their lanes or park correctly. The latest aid I've noticed is the CHMSL flash mod. Not sure if this one is factory, but I first noticed the "virus" on KIA vehicles. It's since spread to various other makes and I find it to be rather irritating; Flash flash.. FLASH! As if that'll get people to pull their heads out of their ahsses or the digital pacifier from their faces. Imagine if every car did that, the horror..

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As if that'll get people to pull their heads out of their ahsses or the digital pacifier from their faces.
The automakers have made it worse with all the large screen displays and toys to play with. I'm constantly screaming "WAKE UP AND DRIVE THE F#*#ING CAR!!!"