No Brakes!!! Dangerous ride home.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Scared the **** out of me.
Good, next time beat the hell out of the brakes a half dozen times to see if you can get the proportioning valve/safety to kick in, it would have shut off the rears for lack of pressure and you would have rode home on fronts with little issue. If something on the front lets loose it will shut those off and you'll make it home on the rears. Allmost every vehicle is set up like this but you have to jab a pedal hard quite a few times. Doesn't hurt to pull them part and clean when doing a fluid flush/brake job to make sure they operate. They tend to get gunked up. Normlly a brass valve mounted down by the frame rail that has a shuttle valve inside, might be different for different years/models etc. Yours didn't seem to function so you're not done yet.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy F*k, inspections are part of PM procedures, no you don't inspect everything at every oil change but someone such as yourself that proclaims to have been a dealer service tech should know this unless you were no more than the "lube guy". This comment of yours is almost as bad as when you said dealer service tech's dismantle lower ends and send them out for machine work for rebuilds.
I was a dealer tech, ASE certified with an associate's degree. I'm not saying that the ideal is to skip maintenance. I'm saying that it usually doesn't get done.

I'm not going to bust the OP's balls because these things don't always get checked. Do you inspect your brake lines from the master cylinder to each corner and then bleed the system until you get clear fluid annually? Do you pull your brakes apart once a year? Do you do a hydrometer check on your coolant every fall? Do you do a hydrometer check on your battery once a year? Do you pull out the multimeter and check your grounds for voltage drop? Do you flush your transmission fluid every year? Do you send your oil off for analysis after every change? Do you check your gear oil and lube the chassis at every oil change? Do you break out the pry bar and check every suspension and steering component for play? Do you inspect your u-joints, CV axles, and carrier bearing? Do you inspect your exhaust for leaks? Do you plug in the scan tool and check all your data stream for abnormalities?

Don't bull$#!+ me. You don't do all of this. None of us checks everything. We check what we're worried about, or what attracts our attention.

As a dealership technician, we had a 120 point inspection chart that we were supposed to follow, and we were supposed to get it and an oil change done in twelve minutes. It was all visual. We only went further if there was a potential profit. You had to get that next car in ASAP and sell maintenance on it!

As a military technician, we ran the entire checklist, every time, because we had a 7-level tech double-checking us, and there was a good chance we would have QA come behind them and pick apart our work. We had days to complete inspections on the larger equipment.

I do at least a couple times a year during tire rotations. How hard is it to pull a drum off? I see plenty of nice trucks on this forum with owners who maintain them properly.
The only time I've ever rotated tires regularly was the mudders on my Jeep. They'd get noisy if I didn't, and yes, I'd check the brakes while they were off. But my Mustang's on staggered directional tires, and it's a PITA to jack up, so it doesn't get checked as often. I can see the pads through the chrome five-spokes, and that's all the inspection they get. Also, rust isn't typically an issue here. Should I go deeper? Sure, but that doesn't happen because I have too much $#!+ to get done.

This comment of yours is almost as bad as when you said dealer service tech's dismantle lower ends and send them out for machine work for rebuilds.
When did I ever say that? Don't go putting words in my mouth to try and back up your own comments. As a dealer technician we never rebuilt engines. It was always remove/replace.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
IDK about the rest of you but every time I'm in or near a car, its an ongoing diagnostic session... driver, passenger, bystander. Use your senses and replace when something trips your spidy-sense.

I've noticed a lot of low tires on peoples cars in parking lots and helped them not have a blowout, and a lot of wheel-bearings as a passenger, etc.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you inspect your brake lines from the master cylinder to each corner and then bleed the system until you get clear fluid annually? Do you pull your brakes apart once a year? Do you do a hydrometer check on your coolant every fall? Do you do a hydrometer check on your battery once a year? Do you pull out the multimeter and check your grounds for voltage drop? Do you flush your transmission fluid every year? Do you send your oil off for analysis after every change? Do you check your gear oil and lube the chassis at every oil change? Do you break out the pry bar and check every suspension and steering component for play? Do you inspect your u-joints, CV axles, and carrier bearing? Do you inspect your exhaust for leaks? Do you plug in the scan tool and check all your data stream for abnormalities?
This is not what the Owners Manual recommends. Maybe over 100,000 miles or so. We were referring to normal maintenance. These aren’t “race cars”.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said these were race cars. I stated that the only car that I run a checklist on is my team's race car.

What I'm going on about is the immediate bashing of the OP saying that he could have killed someone - which is true - because he didn't do PM. While that's also true, it just doesn't happen, and that's true of almost all vehicles on the road in the US. If you're lucky, you live in a place where inspections are mandatory, and effective. As I stated above, at the dealership I worked at the 120 point inspection was mostly a pencil-whipping job and that it was only a serious inspection if we though we could make money at it.

And I don't like it this way. I'm not excusing the situation, I'm saying it's the truth. I'm also saying that I won't throw shade at @r32flow, because I'm willing to admit that I can't inspect every detail on all the vehicles I'm responsible for as often as I'd like.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was a dealer tech, ASE certified with an associate's degree. I'm not saying that the ideal is to skip maintenance. I'm saying that it usually doesn't get done.

I'm not going to bust the OP's balls because these things don't always get checked. Do you inspect your brake lines from the master cylinder to each corner and then bleed the system until you get clear fluid annually? Do you pull your brakes apart once a year? Do you do a hydrometer check on your coolant every fall? Do you do a hydrometer check on your battery once a year? Do you pull out the multimeter and check your grounds for voltage drop? Do you flush your transmission fluid every year? Do you send your oil off for analysis after every change? Do you check your gear oil and lube the chassis at every oil change? Do you break out the pry bar and check every suspension and steering component for play? Do you inspect your u-joints, CV axles, and carrier bearing? Do you inspect your exhaust for leaks? Do you plug in the scan tool and check all your data stream for abnormalities?

Don't bull$#!+ me. You don't do all of this. None of us checks everything. We check what we're worried about, or what attracts our attention.

As a dealership technician, we had a 120 point inspection chart that we were supposed to follow, and we were supposed to get it and an oil change done in twelve minutes. It was all visual. We only went further if there was a potential profit. You had to get that next car in ASAP and sell maintenance on it!

As a military technician, we ran the entire checklist, every time, because we had a 7-level tech double-checking us, and there was a good chance we would have QA come behind them and pick apart our work. We had days to complete inspections on the larger equipment.

The only time I've ever rotated tires regularly was the mudders on my Jeep. They'd get noisy if I didn't, and yes, I'd check the brakes while they were off. But my Mustang's on staggered directional tires, and it's a PITA to jack up, so it doesn't get checked as often. I can see the pads through the chrome five-spokes, and that's all the inspection they get. Also, rust isn't typically an issue here. Should I go deeper? Sure, but that doesn't happen because I have too much $#!+ to get done.

When did I ever say that? Don't go putting words in my mouth to try and back up your own comments. As a dealer technician we never rebuilt engines. It was always remove/replace.
LOL You said that crap about dealer techs sending stuff out for machine work on this site, and I told you it didn't work that way, that the cores are the supply chain for the engine remanufacturing program. lol You not remembering is not my problem.

My rights were granted to me by the constitution not you, You fighting for a political agena to liberate some other entity, also not my problem. If you fought in WW2 maybe I would view differently.

If you want to drive your stuff until something sbreaks, again not my problem.

You think posting your quick fix's with the supporting youtube bottomfeeders is helping any of the newbies asking questions be a better tech?

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I’m just saying that to say “99.99% motorists operate” that way is wrong. And I think plenty, on just this forum alone, would disagree.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol You not remembering is not my problem.
You're the one making the claim. I don't remember, so therefore it didn't happen unless you prove otherwise. We never sent any engines to a machine shop. Nissan had their own rebuilding facility, and we only did remove/replace.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not doing your dirty work, if you don't remember so be it, unfortunately education and intelligence are two very different things that don't always correlate.