No AC. Where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck hasn't had AC since I bought it. Previous owner says it worked.

So far I have: changed the AC relay. Checked fuses. Changed the climate controls in the dash(although these were from a wrecker so I'm not sure if they are good. The heat works fine). I've recharged the system and it was fine and had no leaks.

When I press the AC button, nothing happens. The compressor doesn't even audibly kick in.

Also, maybe unrelated, but my position control doesn't work either (stuck on defrost). If I put it on face level it comes out a bit but mostly full defrost.

Just wondering where to start self diagnosing my AC system. This summers been a hot one!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might also check the low pressure switch on the side of the accumulator. It will kill power to the compressor. Unplug it and jumper the wires in the harness. If the compressor kicks on (make sure it's turned on on the dash control) it's either a bad switch or low on refrigerant.

The switch is maybe $15. I think that it's also called a clutch cycling switch or something like that.

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have the digital display it may be a common problem, you can do a search on here and find it... I had to pull the wiring harness and pull pin one out of the harness, mine works great now

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the digital display. Will check the low pressure switch. Refrigerant is full and at proper pressure according to the guage I have.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
If the compressor is not running when you checked pressures, then the pressures are incorrect.
The AC system needs to work properly in order to read the correct pressures (both high and low pressures).
The low side pressure should read anywhere from 60psi to 100psi with the AC system turned off. If the pressure reads lower, then there is not enough freon in the system.

If the AC system is working properly, the low side pressure should read anywhere from 25psi to 40psi depending on the ambient temp outside.
If your AC system pressures are 25psi to 40psi with the AC compressor not working, then add a can of freon. I would bet that it with kick on and start working.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I tried to add a can it would physically not go in. Is it possible it's over full and causing it to not work at all? When I turn the AC on in the cab the compressor doesn't kick in. Hasn't since I bought it

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Try jumping the switch on the accumulator and see if the compressor runs.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I found this: http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-...k-series-trucks-hvac-control-unit-t77522.html

I don't know what year your truck is so I hope the article applies.
Scroll down to about half way and he has a picture showing the locations of all the AC system switches. He also explains how to check each switch.
Beware that each switch is connected to the ECU, so if you try to jumper any of the switches with 12V power, make sure you have the right wire.

The whole article is actually very interesting.

Good luck!