No AC from dash vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Silverado

Reaction score
Took a look around but didn't find anything related to the issue that I'm experiencing.

I have a 1998 Chevrolet ext cab 1500 w/ 5.7L. The AC works and blows cold air, the only problem is that when I set it to blow air out the dash, it won't I can have it blow cold air through the defrost setting and lower dash but not through the middle dash. I looked at all of the actuators that are suppose to control the vents and they all work from what I can see under the dash, but nothing. Anyone had this problem, if so what did you do to fix this problem.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
Does any air come out of the vents? If not then I'm thinking either broken control panel or clogged ducting.

Also did you check your fuses?

Reaction score
Has anyone solved this problem? I currently have this exact issue with my '96 YUKON.... A/C is fully charged checked with gauge set. Air blows out of defrost and bottom vents, but not out of forward A/C venting. I looked in my GM service manual VOL I (don't have Vol II). It made mention of a A/C Heater module located above the blower motor assembly. Has anyone had issues regarding that part?

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Sounds like to me you are having trouble with the electrical component that swaps the blowing style through the switch. If you ever noticed the click sound it makes when you switch from defrost to vent? Does it make that noise and not blow out the vent? My AC controls are strange sometimes, I have the air on and switch to front vent, nothing happens and I have to push in on the knob to make the connection to tell it to switch.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had this happen before, where no matter where you change the nobs the air just won't change it's position, for me it was a simple fix. It's the A/C Actuator motor they run about 30-40 bucks for these trucks of yours which isn't terrible... They're located underneath the stearing wheel area, Check about 4 inches above you're gas peddle to your right you'll see a little black box with a metal hole in it and it looks like you can put a flat head screw driver in there, get a new one of those lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dorman-...ubmodel:Silverado&hash=item1c2f5da04a&vxp=mtr

Reaction score
Thanks for your valued help guys.... I haven't noticed a clicking sound which you have mentioned. However I have noticed that there seems to be a delay of a few miles perhaps, before the A/C feels like flowing from the forward vents. When I checked the H & L sides statically over the weekend, it was when I discovered it was ventilation/flow issue rather than the A/C system problem. It has still has been in the 50's & 60's here in the Midwest now so I haven't really put the A/C through the paces yet. I think I will make it to the bone yard here over the weekend and snag a couple of those actuator motors and try that first. By that time the weather ought to warm up a bit to willingly test it. They have bunch of the C/K.s in there. I'll report back then. Thank you much!

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can get the actual module for the control nab one of those too! A new one on ebay can run like 60 bucks, could also be the controller that's why i'm telling you to grab one lol

98Silverado

Reaction score
I apologize I haven't followed this thread I created in a long time. To bring a conclusion to this problem all I can say is that. It was an actuator and a calibration problem with the replaced actuator.... Oddly enough it took a complete battery drain in the truck for the re-calibration of the AC vent actuators for the problem to be corrected..... Apparently this isn't a uncommon problem with Chevrolet.. I now have a Chevrolet Trailblazer as well, it is suffering from the same problem. I have to replace an AC vent actuator and then re-calibrate it... The problem apparently can occur and has been explained as happen by disconnecting the battery and when the battery is hooked back up the actuator does its re-calibration and some how binds up the dash vent actuator in the closed position. It can require the replacing of it and re-calibrating some people have said a simple pulling of the AC fuse can letting it re-calibrate has solved problem. I will find out soon.... Hope this helps.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Must be why my last one froze up! I have a fat 0 awg wire on mine for my subs and am always tinkering with my battery, i will keep this in mind next time this happens so i don't buy a new one lol..