Next step for more TBI power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So right now I have done most every mod that can be done with my 350 TBI, and I am curious what my next step for more power would be. I have done the Ultimate TBI mods, FPR @ 18psi, custom tune, open element filter, injector and throttle body spacers, full exhaust, headers, etc.

What is the next step that I should take for more power? I was looking into cams, and heads- would not mind switching to vortec heads since I read they are better then the TBI ones, and I could use a carb to TBI adapter for the intake (since I got the EGR removed in my chip, did not loose gas mileage). I read something about the 350 blocks being roller ready, is there any way to tell if mine is before I pull everything apart - I don't want to order all the parts then pull it apart and find out its not roller ready...

If my block isn't roller ready then where would that leave me for options? I have also been keeping my eyes on CL for a 350 block to build or possibly a 383 build, but no luck finding a decent 350 yet .... (also does the year the 350 is make a difference for using the block for my build? I also found a set of LT1 heads from a 94 vette, the guy said they would not work on any block from 94 or older - is this true?)

This is all for my 94 K1500 350TBI (stock engine). any suggestions I am open to :)

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam will be best band for your buck. Definitely go with a Hydraulic Roller, and if you call up COMP they will custom grind you one in about a week. pretty good deal. I think you'll still need lifters, cam button, thrush plate, maybe timing gear and chain. Worth the money to hear a nice lopey idle.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look for a 350 TPI engine from a camaro or trans am and use that as your build. Sell the TPI off to help get back some of the money spent on the engine. Put a mild cam in it and make sure everything else on it is up to the task. When its done then you can swap it out in a weekend and be back on the road come Monday. You will want to find an engine from 1987 to 1992 in the Fbodies. Those have the 1 pc rear main seal and are hyd. roller engines.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first got the truck it was getting around 8mpg cruising, now I got it so I am around 15-18mpg. Amazing how tuning and letting the engine breath better will improve gas mileage so much. About how long does a cam take to drop in? I have never done much work with chevys, I used to build high horsepower engines for subarus......

As for the engine I will keep my eyes open but around my area there is nothing on CL right now. I did find a couple engines on ebay but nothing newer then 88+. Is there a way to make an older 350 block roller ready? I tried doing a basic google search but came up with nothing.

Edit - I just found this block on ebay, chances of this being roller ready and worth doing a build with?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-350-ENGI...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c618a2d1c

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Look for a 350 TPI engine from a camaro or trans am and use that as your build. Sell the TPI off to help get back some of the money spent on the engine. Put a mild cam in it and make sure everything else on it is up to the task. When its done then you can swap it out in a weekend and be back on the road come Monday. You will want to find an engine from 1987 to 1992 in the Fbodies. Those have the 1 pc rear main seal and are hyd. roller engines.

why would you buy another engine that's basically identical to his current 350, especially if his is roller ready?, from what i read TPI heads are not that great.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Cam will be best band for your buck. Definitely go with a Hydraulic Roller, and if you call up COMP they will custom grind you one in about a week. pretty good deal. I think you'll still need lifters, cam button, thrush plate, maybe timing gear and chain. Worth the money to hear a nice lopey idle.

Lopey idle and TBI dont mix

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
When I first got the truck it was getting around 8mpg cruising, now I got it so I am around 15-18mpg. Amazing how tuning and letting the engine breath better will improve gas mileage so much. About how long does a cam take to drop in? I have never done much work with chevys, I used to build high horsepower engines for subarus......

As for the engine I will keep my eyes open but around my area there is nothing on CL right now. I did find a couple engines on ebay but nothing newer then 88+. Is there a way to make an older 350 block roller ready? I tried doing a basic google search but came up with nothing.

Edit - I just found this block on ebay, chances of this being roller ready and worth doing a build with?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-350-ENGI...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c618a2d1c

that block is roller ready, notice the three studs in the lifter valley that are tapped, those are for the lifter spider, older blocks dont have those, and some blocks have them but not tapped.

i wouldn't touch the block for $250, cores can be had at wreckers for WAY cheaper!

cam swap can be done in a weekend, its fairly simple.