New Y pipe for new headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterM

Reaction score
About to order an edlebrock cam and lifter set so of course I'm going to need some new headers. Also shipping in a high flow cat because still have to pass emissions.

I was just wondering if I needed a new Y pipe. I've been hearing that with new headers alot of people have problems with emissions or the truck even not running properly due to o2 sensors or other issues.

Anyone have complications like this before?

MisterM

Reaction score
I was told if you get a new y pipe it usually corrects most emission/ o2 sensor issues, is this true? And if so, why?

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score
I was told if you get a new y pipe it usually corrects most emission/ o2 sensor issues, is this true? And if so, why?
Your truck is a 95 so the only o2 sensor on it is right before the cat in the y pipe, if you are not pulling that sensor out but just replacing the headers and cat you should be fine

MisterM

Reaction score
What type of headers are you going to be running?

I'm still looking around but I'm leaning towards some Gibson 120 tuned shortys (around $350). If anyone else has good some good suggestions it'd be appreciated.

MisterM

Reaction score
Your truck is a 95 so the only o2 sensor on it is right before the cat in the y pipe, if you are not pulling that sensor out but just replacing the headers and cat you should be fine

Are you sure? I've been reading thread upon thread about how people install new headers and there truck starts to run like . Most seem to be resolved by a y pipe or a specific type of sensor.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The short tubes will work fine. If you are gonna re-work your y pipe anyway, why not run long tubes?

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Are you sure? I've been reading thread upon thread about how people install new headers and there truck starts to run like . Most seem to be resolved by a y pipe or a specific type of sensor.
you should get a cut out to house the o2 sensor in the new y pipe right after the headers, which will help with the engine running bad.

95chev

Fear the Deere
Reaction score

Thats how mine is, just the one o2 sensor

MisterM

Reaction score
Just took a look and 95 chev you're right, there's just one o2 sensor right before the cat, and if I replaced the cat and headers I don't think it would effect it. I'm going to do some more research online though because I know in the past I've read "y pipe will solve most problems" when installing new headers.

And I don't think I can install long tube headers because the gas tank is on one side of the truck. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go with the shortys