New Transmission Sucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so long story short my transmission went out of my 97 sierra. It was an automatic and 4x4. It was supposedly rebuilt and shifted great! It went out one night and so I had it towed to the shop and ordered a rebuilt tranny from 1st Transmission in Michigan. Well a month and a half later I finally got my truck back today! My parents dropped it off to me at work and I was super excited to drive it home! Well Im very disappointed with it.. It runs like complete crap. It shifts fine if you drive it like a grandpa but the second you give it any kind of gas or get on it kind of hard from a stop light it will fall on its face in between shifts. It does alright if your driving like a grandpa but it may be just because your driving slow and can't really tell. It just doesn't have the throttle response it had before..

Is there an adjustment I need to check on or what?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Nope. Call and tell them the problems you're having. Sounds like it might not have been "rebuilt".

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be about my luck. I'm going to give the garage a call either tomorrow or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Do you have a receipt with everything they did? It say "full rebuild" or detail exactly what they did.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's supposed to have been a full rebuilt transmission, new electronics, new convertor, upgraded hard parts, and a shift improver kit. It does have a 3 year warranty though.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
call the shop. shouldnt be doing worse with a rebuild although a few of my vehicels previous compnents worked much much better right before they died.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I took it to get it inspected today. Failed. Go figure. No reverse lights. They said it was more than likely the reverse neutral safety switch. Does that sound about right? Could that also have anything to do with how it's shifting weird?

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah I had a 4l60e rebuilt once by a company down the road from me. I had to take it back multiple times before they got it right. They somehow "forgot" to put certain parts in there when they did the rebuild. Hence the reason I HATE letting shops touch my truck. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment or knowledge to rebuild a transmission. If it ever happens again, I'll make sure to find a better, more well known transmission shop.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The neutral switch won't make it shift funny at all. Does it flare when it shifts? The RPM go up or what exactly is it doing?