New tool fail. Turkey baster for brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While working out the brake issues on my wife's SS, I thought, let me score a turkey baster to pull fluid out of the reservoir. Don't know if she has one and if she did I didn't want to potentially ruin it with brake fluid.

Went to the grocery store expecting the usual milky white soft plastic (LDPE? guessing) baster we've probably all seen hundreds of times. Nope. Just one choice, and it's a clear hard plastic fancy thing from "GoodCook" - I'm thinking it's probably polystyrene (PS) plastic. First time pulling brake fluid up from the reservoir, it clouded the bottom half of it instantly and permanently. After emptying the reservoir with it, I noticed it had a bunch of cracks all the way through, gave it the apperance of being shattered, yet it's holding together (for now) and still works. Sketchy! The whole thing looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

For those doubting brake fluid is nasty stuff..

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
While working out the brake issues on my wife's SS, I thought, let me score a turkey baster to pull fluid out of the reservoir. Don't know if she has one and if she did I didn't want to potentially ruin it with brake fluid

So you'd potentially be fine with a brake fluid basted turkey??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a garage turkey baster... somewhere. I actually have not seen it while cleaning out there. It's from Walmart. I've probably had it close to 10 years. I don't recall if it's transparent or translucent. I know I've washed it a few times because I've used it for oils, too.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the standup MightyVac. I use that **** on everything. Best use is to snake down the transmission dipstick and suck out all the fluid before dropping the pan.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
A large syringe works well. Better than the last baster i bought that leaked everywhere.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why cry? These are free and make no mess. I have one for power steering fluid and another for brake fluid.
You must be registered for see images attach
Another trick is to save the spouts off gear oil bottles. You can nip just the tip off if you want a small nozzle or cut it farther down if you need more flow. I use them for everything from brake fluid to gear oil.