New to me ‘96 c1500, advice welcome

Worth fixing up?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlTrav

Reaction score
1996 long bed, 2wd, 191,341 miles, automatic, gifted to me by a family member. Was planning on using as a farm truck but have about $1k-$2k do put into it. Has a tick in the engine gotta have that looked at. Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome. I’m new to this whole old truck thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Looks like a good starting point. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of information and tips here. What engine? A ticking sound usually is valve train or exhaust leak, from what I've heard.

OlTrav

Reaction score
Looks like a good starting point. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of information and tips here. What engine? A ticking sound usually is valve train or exhaust leak, from what I've heard.
I believe it’s the 6cyl vortex. It’s definitely loud but the muffler is hanging off. Guess that’s the first thing to get sorted out. Thanks for the welcome. Hoping to find useful info here.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The V6 is 3/4 of a 350/5.7, I think it's a 4.3 (260 cubic inches). They're pretty stout motor for a 6. And the vortec engine is the most evolved version, best performance.

OlTrav

Reaction score
The V6 is 3/4 of a 350/5.7, I think it's a 4.3 (260 cubic inches). They're pretty stout motor for a 6. And the vortec engine is the most evolved version, best performance.
Thanks! If it’s been maintained and fluids kept topped off how many miles realistically can I expect out of a motor like this one?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Some of the guys on here have 300 thou or more on theirs. My 99 5.7 has 193 thou on it, my other 99 5.7 Burb went 250 thou before it got wrecked. This one's a better truck and engine though. Regular maintenance helps a lot! My Burb gets daily driven all over greater Houston, so I check under the hood every morning. Usually nothing needed, but good to check anyway. The day you don't check is the day something is wrong, and if not tended to, the outcome may not be good.....