New Rear Glass Leaks On Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to make this brief. New guy, with a "new" 1990 C1500. I just had the windshield and rear glass replaced. At the last minute while doing the job, the techs pulled me aside to show me "bad rust" in the glass channels front and rear. They immediately said they would not guarantee the work, and eventually it would leak again. Well, two whole days later, it still leaks. The rust is confusing, as this is an Alabama truck and the rest of it is super clean. They had cleaned away as much debris as possible and primed the hell out of the channels. I fixed the w/s leak myself with flowable silicone. But the rear glass has me stumped....while washing the truck today (by hand...) water was coming in thru the seam shown inside the truck. It was running down at a good pace, too....you can see the water running down in the pic. BTW, The other water staining marks are from the old glass....it was popped out....and I didn't notice it until AFTER I paid for the thing and brought it home. Very discouraged.....I feel like I got screwed, and this is my DD. Can't put any of my new interior in until these leaks are gone. ANY advice would be appreciated before I take it to another glass company for a re-evaluation.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_162651380_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230812_162651380_HDR.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230812_173930365_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230812_173930365_HDR.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230812_173934054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230812_173934054_HDR.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 15

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh, what are we supposed to see? Where is water coming in at? Did they build up the rusted area to original height thickness. Where is the water coming in at? If you can find the intrusion area a good sealant should block it.
Water follows gravity, and likes to adhere as flows, so the leak could be at a point higher than you notice. The glass to gasket seal is good also?

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, what are we supposed to see? Where is water coming in at? Did they build up the rusted area to original height thickness. Where is the water coming in at? If you can find the intrusion area a good sealant should block it.
Water follows gravity, and likes to adhere as flows, so the leak could be at a point higher than you notice. The glass to gasket seal is good also?
The first pic shows the water flowing into the truck through that seam on the body panel that holds the trim behind the seat. The other pics show the fitment of the glass, which I consider poor. The glass gasket is new, along with the glass....it was a one piece deal...no push in seam filler. I have no idea if they built up the window channel area or not. It looked like surface rust to me, and looked like it would have cleaned up fine. Everything in the post is what I know. I'm not a body guy, I'm a mechanic. I was hoping someone could tell me an obvious place to check, like a spot welded area or something like that. I noticed at the top, the glass doesn't sit flush with the body. Again, not a body guy, but seems to me it should sit flush. Despite the horrendous amount of urethane there, I'm wondering if the water is flowing past the gasket, down and around to a hole. But I haven't a clue. The gap is small and I'm not sure if I could get the flowable silicone in there like I did the windshield this morning.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can't urethane, seal, or silicone over rust, you opted not to have it fixed and had them move forward at your direction. Another company is going to tell you the same thing. The rust needs cleaned up/sandblasted, any holes patched/welded, and epoxy primed so it doesn't continue. They supplied glass?

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't urethane, seal, or silicone over rust, you opted not to have it fixed and had them move forward at your direction. Another company is going to tell you the same thing. The rust needs cleaned up/sandblasted, any holes patched/welded, and epoxy primed so it doesn't continue. They supplied glass?
That's incorrect...I told them, and they did, clean up the rust. Yes, they did supply the glass.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's incorrect...I told them, and they did, clean up the rust. Yes, they did supply the glass.
They're not body guys or a paint shop. They'll only do what they can on site or in their own shop. scrape the loose stuff off, window primer, and go with it. They guaranteed it wasn't going to stay sealed. Pretty sure nothing like a spot blaster and 2k epoxy primer was used. It's not what glass guys do.

Last edited:

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance you have a 3rd brake light/cargo light? Mine leaked there, and it sure looked like a window leak.
Mine does not have that. What I ended up doing, was having another company look at it. We agreed to not remove the glass. He told me what he thought happened, which was the same thing I thought, and how to fix it. Sent me home with quality urethane, and I stopped the leak myself. Sealed up more areas that I thought would cause the leaks, and it hasn't leaked since, even after a good heavy wash at home. Case closed, and I know more than I did, and what not to do next time. Thanks for everyones input.

NYDeer

Reaction score
My 'new to me' 97 Siera has a leak as well, suspecting the windshield. The headliner near the glass is damp, about 12 inches wide on drivers side. Windshield looks new/replaced, so guessing I'm going to be resealing this myself as well. What product did you use to seal yours up?

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 'new to me' 97 Siera has a leak as well, suspecting the windshield. The headliner near the glass is damp, about 12 inches wide on drivers side. Windshield looks new/replaced, so guessing I'm going to be resealing this myself as well. What product did you use to seal yours up?
Just some Permatex flowable silicone from the parts store. The glass company left a big 1/4 inch gap at the top, so I used a whole tube to fill the gap. Was it the right thing to do? Probably not....but it doesn't leak there anymore.