new old guy from NYC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. That is a real nice looking truck. I like the tonneau cover, always liked those. I went to school in Utica years ago, it was a pretty depressed area when I "lived" there. There can't be much left there anymore.

Your brakes...all these trucks have soft brake pedals. First chalk it up to all the rubber lines in the system. When replaced with braided stainless you get a little more pedal. When you replace the front calipers and rotors for those from a "same year" 3/4 ton truck, you get a little more pedal. Then, when you upgrade the master cylinder for one from a newer truck (and maybe the proportioning valve too), you get a little more pedal. Then, when you replace the drums for discs from a newer truck you get a little more pedal.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. That is a real nice looking truck. I like the tonneau cover, always liked those. I went to school in Utica years ago, it was a pretty depressed area when I "lived" there. There can't be much left there anymore.

Your brakes...all these trucks have soft brake pedals. First chalk it up to all the rubber lines in the system. When replaced with braided stainless you get a little more pedal. When you replace the front calipers and rotors for those from a "same year" 3/4 ton truck, you get a little more pedal. Then, when you upgrade the master cylinder for one from a newer truck (and maybe the proportioning valve too), you get a little more pedal. Then, when you replace the drums for discs from a newer truck you get a little more pedal.

if you were in the Harley world when you up in Utica then you would know my brother Shack.......I really like it there, considering where i'm from, LOL.......

I found that the 60amp fuse for the ABS was pulled because of the pump/module thing. new rotors and pads will do for now, till I get all the parts to get the system working properly, I want the ABS working.....thanks for the tips, I've been researching.......and in my first post I said it was a '97.....she's actually a 1998. the truck, with upgraded "stock" parts will be fine for how i'll be using her.......a selectable locker will find it's way in the 10 bolt, probably chromo shafts for ***** and giggles as well........

thanks for your input man

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
just picked up these 17" chrome clads from a 2010 Chevy.....i'll be putting on some Duratracs before next winter. probably stay with 265's because of my 3.42's......paid $300 with center caps and the stock tires, threw those out. i'm happy

You must be registered for see images attach

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
if you were in the Harley world when you up in Utica then you would know my brother Shack.......I really like it there, considering where i'm from, LOL.......

I found that the 60amp fuse for the ABS was pulled because of the pump/module thing. new rotors and pads will do for now, till I get all the parts to get the system working properly, I want the ABS working.....thanks for the tips, I've been researching.......and in my first post I said it was a '97.....she's actually a 1998. the truck, with upgraded "stock" parts will be fine for how i'll be using her.......a selectable locker will find it's way in the 10 bolt, probably chromo shafts for ***** and giggles as well........

thanks for your input man

I'm not into bikes. My uncle lives in Syracuse, and he's been into Harleys since the 60's. He very well may know your brother. It's funny you want the ABS working. I know guys with GMT400's, especially in the snowbelt who disable ABS and talk about how much better their trucks stop without it.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm not into bikes. My uncle lives in Syracuse, and he's been into Harleys since the 60's. He very well may know your brother. It's funny you want the ABS working. I know guys with GMT400's, especially in the snowbelt who disable ABS and talk about how much better their trucks stop without it.

after living upstate NY for years I learned to appreciate ABS...especially on icy roads. i'll mostly be driving this in the rain and snow so ABS is a good thing for me. I can't pump the brakes as fast as a computer.....sometimes new tech is good :anitoof:
.....if it was a trail truck, then no........i'll get all her systems working like they should, be like a new 18 year old truck......my friend Pauly owns a junkyard and has the ABS module/pump I need, it's a gift...... the guy I bought the truck from is getting me all new pre-formed stainless brake lines.........and Pauly is getting me a semi-float 14 bolt with 3.42's. he said $200. i'll rebuild that to new with an OX or ARB in the pumpkin. helping folks with their bikes pays off.....karma is cool.......i'll turn my brakes from JB5 to JB6. should be bullet proof when i'm done with her, for my personal needs.

i'm pretty stoked

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
after living upstate NY for years I learned to appreciate ABS...especially on icy roads. i'll mostly be driving this in the rain and snow so ABS is a good thing for me. I can't pump the brakes as fast as a computer.....sometimes new tech is good :anitoof:
.....if it was a trail truck, then no........i'll get all her systems working like they should, be like a new 18 year old truck......my friend Pauly owns a junkyard and has the ABS module/pump I need, it's a gift...... the guy I bought the truck from is getting me all new pre-formed stainless brake lines.........and Pauly is getting me a semi-float 14 bolt with 3.42's. he said $200. i'll rebuild that to new with an OX or ARB in the pumpkin. helping folks with their bikes pays off.....karma is cool.......i'll turn my brakes from JB5 to JB6. should be bullet proof when i'm done with her, for my personal needs.

i'm pretty stoked

maybe I should post an "improvement thread".....like a build thread light. maybe a moderator can move this thread to the build section........how do I ask one?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
have quite a few things I plan to do.....i'm researchin **** now........getting a read on what I want to do.....plus I have to learn the gen3's. my head is so fu@kin far down the road I got to add LS motors to the list of stupp I don'e know.........this thing is like a spaceship compared to what I've always had....I really really like this ol' girl.......and she'd win my heart.......my '86 Jimmy was my favorite build of all. THAT was a truck......this one's a bit different....and that's REAL cool......I want a rugged little shortbed that will outlive me.....I want this truck to last 10 years at least.......and In a year or so I may decide I to run 33'3 or 35's......kinda like maybe hit an off road park at times.......i'd do a solid axle conversion

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
well.......i'm about to orders some more stuff.......already got most of the Warn Trans4ormer setup in black, more on that later.....i'm ordering the LMC non moulding bumper with 4" round fogs, more on that later.

now i'm looking at hard tonneau covers.....want to get rid of the bedliner, do spray on and mats. probably a removable bike chock.....tool box.....LED lighting.

i'm kinda digging this one......need to research some more before I pull the trigger.

http://www.bakflip.com/p-361-bak-revolver-x2-tonneau-cover.aspx

but from here...fantastic customer service and great prices..
http://www.truckstuffusa.com/bak-roll-x-tonneau-cover-by-bak.html

Last edited: