New member with '96 C1500 Extended Cab Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liroku

Reaction score
Just bought this as an extra driver that will also cure my itch for a project truck. She is beat up and old, but that's ok. I'll make it better. As a matter of fact, I am getting her close to 400k miles with the original motor and, allegedly, the original transmission. I feel like I should mark the occasion somehow, or is that reserved for 500k miles?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Liroku

Reaction score
I have 330k on original motor! I say celebrate.

I think it's the highest mileage vehicle I've owned. People give me a funny look when I say the mileage, like why the hell would you want to keep that. But I'm kind of proud of it. There is a big motor place pretty close to me that will pull the motor, rebuild that motor specifically 100% and then install it for $2395 + cost of water pump, damper, oil, and coolant. I think that may be the present I give it for 400k miles.

94TwoDoor

Reaction score
Welcome, and mine has 204k on th Og engine and trans so congratulations!! New cars and trucks are ovverarted

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think it's the highest mileage vehicle I've owned. People give me a funny look when I say the mileage, like why the hell would you want to keep that. But I'm kind of proud of it. There is a big motor place pretty close to me that will pull the motor, rebuild that motor specifically 100% and then install it for $2395 + cost of water pump, damper, oil, and coolant. I think that may be the present I give it for 400k miles.
I say let it ride, see how many you can get out of it

Liroku

Reaction score
I say let it ride, see how many you can get out of it

I probably will for awhile, but it's got higher than normal oil pressure. Cold idle is like 60-70psi(so is driving?) warm idle is roughly 30PSI, but accelerator cranks it back up to around 60-70psi. I may put a mechanical gauge on it to make sure it's not the sensor, but I'm guessing with it's mileage it's probably got a clogged passage, bearings on the way out, or the pressure relief isn't working. I thought maybe the PO dumped in some thick oil treatment to quiet engine problems, but after an oil change and using 10w-30, it was exactly the same, although the lifter chatter almost went away with the oil change. It's to a "normal" level for high mileage now. I guess it could be cam bearing, but the valvetrain isn't quite THAT loud, it just sounds like worn lifters.

Anywho, I'm not sure how long I can let it ride haha. I think it should make it to 400k though.

Last edited: