New member question about lifting my 1995 z71 extended cab!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAWGA_z71

Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I am new to the forum. I just picked up a 1995 silverado 1500 z71 extended cab. I want to do the 3"+3" torsion key and rear block combo kit, and a 3" body lift with front and rear bumper brackets. What else will I need to do this right, i.e.) shocks, springs, etc. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
alrighty. 1st don't buy any keys your stock ones can crank just as much, so you can save some cash there. You probably should go with a 2" block in the rear and crank the front to level then do the body lift. You will want to order energy suspension body bushings and a drill with a wire wheel to remove the surface rust around the body mounts. I recommend a nice map gas blow torch for the stuck rusty bolts. It is possible that your body mount bolts have been locktited in and will need to be heated up to release. Not sure if the stock shocks can handle a crank or not, I am willing to be if you want it done right you will want a slightly longer shock travel. you will need a 4x4 piece of wood to cut to size to use in combination with your floor jack to lift the body. I highly recommend you get a Performance accessories body lift, Stay away from zone. You will also want the rear bumper brackets, unless you like that unfinished half assed look. I am pretty sure your truck is the same as mine as far as body lift install the 96+ isn't the same. for the shift linkage, they will provide an extension that should be welded in to extend the linkage, however, you can take the linkage out and use the tow hooks to bend one of the kinks out of the linkage to extend it. Mine has worked like this for over a year now with no issues. I probably forgot a lot of little things but you may want to use an impact gun and cheater bar to break the bolts loose and a bunch of extensions handy.

JAWGA_z71

Reaction score
he reason I want to do the 3"key +3" blocks, is so that when i do the 3" BL, I assume that i will be at 6". And my truck is a 95, but i have the 5.7 vortec, where as other 95s ive seen have the 350tbi? Weird huh? And as far as shocks i was thinking the bilstein 5100's, good choice? Also, i have all the tools i need as well as a lift, i work at a shop and am an ASE certified tech. Thanks for the help, hope you can answer my other questions i just asked, im just new to owning trucks.

JAWGA_z71

Reaction score
Sorry, for all the typos and no caps on the "I's", im on my phone at work..... One more question, with the bilstein 5100's will i need shock extenders for the front and rear? Also, yes im gonna do the front and rear bumper brakets, and the piece of plastic to hide the body lift. I HATE a unfinished look too!!!

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Well you can only crank the front so much before you hit the bump stops and at that point its so cranked you will go through tie road ends ball joints and idler pitman arms and all the front end bushings in no time. Not to mention needing an alignment once a month. Is there a specific tire size you want to fit.

5100's are great. mine a 4 years old now with almost 80k and still ride nice, no leaks or squeaks.

If you have a vortec then your engine was swapped.

if you want to do the lift the proper way avoid cranking the torsion bars and just go with a diff drop 6" lift kit. They start at $999 for rcx and more for better. If you go this rout you will have much less to worry about going wrong and have a better ride quality.

stay away from any other style of lift other than SA obviously.