New Member, Joined Yesterday. Cedar Rapids IA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreamless54

Reaction score
Success.

All the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals are working in the back. Even got the license lights working.

Got the taillight harness re-grounded to G400. Besides the white wire for the trailer module, there was a small 6" 18 ga wire with an eyelet connected to G400, which was broke off and hanging. The tail light harness had a splice for the black ground which fed up to the taillights and the license lights, but it was a stub of about 4 inches with a piece of blue wire which had been spliced to it and covered with electrical tape. I think this was the mate to the blue wire I had found by the trailer module which wasn't connected to anything in the back, but was wrapped around the brake line, stretched down the frame, and fished through the strap on the fuel tank which I had mentioned in a previous post. That wire ran into the engine bay and back into the cab under the dash, and must have been supplying the ground for the taillights.

We got a new wire and spliced it to the black stub from the harness and attached it to G400.

What??? Still nothing in the back.... ??? After my son and I scratched our heads for a bit, we decided to try installing the original taillight assemblies, and wouldn't you know it... Everything works.

In summary, there were two problems. The ground for the tails was a broken wire (to the cab), and the new tail assemblies I had just installed, didn't work.

Monitoring to make sure we no longer have a power drain on the battery.

Thanks for all the tips and help.
That blue (# 10) wire is usually the electric brake signal wire that runs from the electric brake sending unit back to the brake wire on your trailer. It usually carries upward of 12 volts. If the brake sending is functioning and the wire becomes shorted, it can cause serious problems. The brake unit is typically breaker protected at 30 amps.

BlueManLou

Reaction score
That blue (# 10) wire is usually the electric brake signal wire that runs from the electric brake sending unit back to the brake wire on your trailer. It usually carries upward of 12 volts. If the brake sending is functioning and the wire becomes shorted, it can cause serious problems. The brake unit is typically breaker protected at 30 amps.
Awesome! Thank you!