New Member from Washington State - Cummins Powered 96 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goliath

Reaction score
Nice Suburban, love the idea of a diesel burb. Hope my 454 never gives up the ghost but if it does....

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again. For those of you wanting to do a swap like this and you have some time and 5-7k, do it. I love it and will never look back.

I'll answer a bunch of questions that I get asked all the time:

1. Yes, all of the stock gauges work perfectly.

2. All of the factory accessories, Cruise, A/C, etc work perfectly.

3. I removed about 200' of wiring and removed 35 pins from the computer that were no longer used.

4. Yes, the check engine light is on, I am going to remove the bulb as it will always be on since the engine sees road speed, engine rpm and temp but doesn't see any other sensors since they are removed.

5. Yes, you can fit an intercooler behind the A/C Condenser (for those of you with the 6.5 truck)

6. Yes, you can fit a Cummins with the IFS. It is heavier but only a few hundred pounds over the 454 and it is still lighter than a snowplow hanging off the front of a truck so the IFS should last fine.

Hope this helps anyone else wanting to do the conversion.

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine Pics:

You must be registered for see images

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
only problem i have is my truck is registered as a k1500 even though my axles and drive train are 3/4 ton, so i dont think i can swap to a diesel engine

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
only problem i have is my truck is registered as a k1500 even though my axles and drive train are 3/4 ton, so i dont think i can swap to a diesel engine

In California, you'd have to jump through a lot more hoops, although I have never heard a GVW law on it. Here in Washington all I did was go into the DMV and say, it's a diesel now. They changed my registration and that was it.