New guy on the block...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im new here. First time caller, long time listener. hardy har.
Alright first with a quick background.
Got out of the Marine Corps recently. Bought a CBR for the summer then it started getting cold out(Ohio). Traded that for a 9 inch lifted Dodge Ram 1500. Not the best gas mileage and more of a toy. So Last week I traded that for a 94 Chevy K1500 4.3L.

Only problem was that it has an exhaust leak (broken right after the flange after the cat.)
It has barely any low end torque at all. If I put the gas to the floor it acts like its going to stall. It takes me forever to get up to speed from a stop.
I checked for a vacuum leak and found that the gasket between the TBI and manifold was bad. So I replaced it with a spacer from Trick Flow.(I work at Summit Racing and get a good discount, was cheaper than just getting a gasket). That helped a ton off the line but I still cant step on it or it acts like its going to stall.

Tomorrow Im going to do a tune up and new air filter. Reading on here I saw that the IAC(correct me if Im wrong) could be the culprite. Any other ideas would be great!!!

Thanks in advance guys

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Welcome.

Your lack of power might be coming from the size of the engine! :p Haha.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
: welcome: from Mississippi and thank you for your service.

Sent from My padded cell using tapatalk 2

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those little motors are not to bad once you do a few things to them.. nascar used them back in the day and some dirt car sancions outlawed them..

you didnt say if the check engine light was on or not also you did tell us the milage on the truck.. 2 things you need to check on the truck would be the distributor they go bad in the 4.3 motor and if the exhast is cracked right by the cat that sounds like a lot of heat build up from the cat being stopped up..

the exhaust on a 4.3 needs to be free flowing what i did on my old truck was take the cat off and where the Y-pipe came together i ran all 3'' to the muffler then 3" out the side in front of the tire.. that helped ALOT!! E-fans are a must to take the load off the motor.. find a 94 big block TB and put that on the truck with a TB spacer and a injector spacer.. make sure you put good spark plugs like a NGK or the AC delco rapid fires and set the gap right on the money..

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome.

Your lack of power might be coming from the size of the engine! :p Haha.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

Hardy har har lol

: welcome: from Mississippi and thank you for your service.

Sent from My padded cell using tapatalk 2

Thank you sir.

those little motors are not to bad once you do a few things to them.. nascar used them back in the day and some dirt car sancions outlawed them..

you didnt say if the check engine light was on or not also you did tell us the milage on the truck.. 2 things you need to check on the truck would be the distributor they go bad in the 4.3 motor and if the exhast is cracked right by the cat that sounds like a lot of heat build up from the cat being stopped up..

the exhaust on a 4.3 needs to be free flowing what i did on my old truck was take the cat off and where the Y-pipe came together i ran all 3'' to the muffler then 3" out the side in front of the tire.. that helped ALOT!! E-fans are a must to take the load off the motor.. find a 94 big block TB and put that on the truck with a TB spacer and a injector spacer.. make sure you put good spark plugs like a NGK or the AC delco rapid fires and set the gap right on the money..

Check engine light was not on till I put the spacer in. Now it is on. Getting it coded tomorrow.
As far as taking the cat out, I live in a county that we do e-check. Legally I cant take it out and they check it.
I am buying an EDL intake manifold and Holley TB but getting it to run right is first.
E3 spark plugs, picking them up tomorrow morning(today i guess... not tomorrow till i fall asleep and wake back up in my eyes)

Im really just trying to get it to run strong right now. Not worried about performance gains at the moment. That time will come.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can.. just replacing it will help alot on this old trucks.. oh please dont put E3 plugs in that truck... you cant set the gap and all the testing they do with them is with a high out put set up.. not a weak coil the TB trucks has.. you will be way better off with a set of NGK's.. also the holley TB is good but you can get the same out of a big block TB and a injector spacer at half the cost! the intake will help some but dont get your hopes up when it dont do what you want.. the intake need a little more cam to work right.. but it will help some.. i would find a stock intake and do a little clean up on the ports and open the 2 hole where the TB sets on and call it a day.. remember its a V6 not a V8 dot throw alot of money at it.. everything has to work together, i hate to see people throw stuff on a motor and not be happy cuz they had high hopes.. stock parts can be made to work just as good as the store bought stuff but with less money..

94K1500KBAR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too late on the E3s lol
My hopes arnt to build a race truck or anything lol The holley TBI and Edolbrock intake arnt for performance, more for replacment. My hopes arnt high believe me. Its a V6. The money isnt too much. I get an amazing discount where I work. But your right. Still will be half the cost with BB parts. I might take a look into that thanks. Pull A Part here I come.