New guy in OHIO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ecsb4x4

Reaction score
Hey all back in aug 2013 I picked up this 97 k1500 ecsb for 850 but not running currently it still not running :( but will soon run in bout a month or so but anyways about the truck it has the vortec 5.7 which seems to b a temper mental motor to work on lol has bout 206k miles i dont know if its the original motor or not but this is the silverado package so it has the thrid door and all but it has a 3in body lift and 285 75 16 tires and plan to put a suspension lift and to b able run at least 35s....so let me know wat u guys think and ill try to answer any and all questions and feel free to comment!!

97ecsb4x4

Reaction score
here's a pic of the truck forgot to post it up originally

You must be registered for see images attach

97ecsb4x4

Reaction score
Well like i said I bought non running and the guy I got it off of said he was driving and it just quit on him so all we done to it is put some gas in it replaced the timing chain,distributer, ignition coil, spark plugs, stering column, the icu we had checked and the parts store tested 7 or 8 times and it got really hot which its supposed to but never failed. Ive talked to a few guys at work since I work at a chevy dealership about wat could b wrong with it and they told me u never know with it being a vortec so are vortecs this hard to work on or am I completely over looking something bc im real close to replacing the intake and throwing a carb on it

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
First, welcome to the site. :biggrin: Second, WHOA.... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!!

You are blindly throwing parts at it to hope to make it run.... there is no diagnosis from what I can see. If you are bleeding, do you stick a random band-aid on your forehead?

Vortecs are no harder to work on than other vehicles, in many ways the self diagnosis system is better than the older trucks.

First off, pull the codes. You do not need it to run in order to do that, just the key in the run position. If you get any codes, even past codes, look up what they mean.

Next, check for fuel pump operation: does the pump make noise when the key is turned to the run position? You may need 2 people for this, one with an ear to the gas filler. ( open fuel door and remove gas cap )

After you have fuel, you need spark. When you replace the distributor in those engines, the timing needs to be set very precisely otherwise it will not run at all. Gm dealerships have the correct tool, there are a very limited number of scan tools in the aftermarket to read the timing offset and allow you to set it.

If you toss the injection, computer and so on for a carburetor, you now have nothing to run the dash cluster, and nothing to run the transmission. Not to mention the kilobuck or so spent on a carb, intake, fuel pressure regulator with return port and the likes.

If it just 'died' while running there could be a multitude of causes, did you pull a compression test? If there is compression in all the holes, fuel and spark ( with proper timing ) it must run.

97ecsb4x4

Reaction score
Lol I do know i the pump is good because I can hear the pump run and its pretty loud last time I checked I didnt have any codes but doesnt ever hurt to try again tho. I have not done a compression check and I just got a crank shaft positioning wire harness from work that was given to me

97ecsb4x4

Reaction score
Just a quick thought if it is kool if not oh well lol but heres my other 400 if its considered one its a 2000 yukon denali im the 2nd owner and has the 5.7 vortec with 108k miles and is my DD!!
You must be registered for see images attach