New guy here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselWeasle

Reaction score
New to Chevy, but not new to trucks. I went and checked out a '96 Chevy K2500 the other day and loved it, will have it in a few days. It's an ext. cab short box, 4x4, auto with a 350. It has a tow package, which I was looking for, I'll be towing a car trailer loaded down with tools and what not during the spring all the way through fall for derby's.

I have a few questions, that google couldn't answer for me. Is there any difference between the engines and/ or tranny's for the 1500 and 2500? It didn't feel sluggish at all and I couldn't tell what gears were in there(in the glove box) as I said, not too familiar with Chevy's, I know my way around a Ford. Anyway, it's been babied for the most part and it shows, lots of power, nice and clean, no leaks, no signs of any atleast. The truck I have now is a '95 F150 with the 300 Straight six, so going to a bigger V8 will be an adjustment, for power and gas mileage.

It has a few spots of rust on the door, burgundy, overall seems like a great truck. I got it for what I think is a good deal, $5000 flat, comes with a canopy and set of studded winters on rims(I'm in Northern BC, Canada) so that's a big plus. Oh and it has 171,700KM(a little over 106,000Miles) so I'm happy with that!

One more questions, could it be classified as a '97 since the Mfg date on the door jam is 07/96 or is it still a '96? I know now a days if it's June or later, they push it for the next year

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome from the big smoke down here on the lower mainland! Where abouts in the in Northern B.C. are ya?
1500/2500 engines are the same.
Probably 3.42's for gears, but they did come with different ones, too.
As far a production date break down...don't have a clue!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Welcome from the mitten! I'm not 100% sure on mfg date. Service shops would call it a 97 but as for its official model year I don't know for sure.

With a tow package it probably has 3:73s. I doubt it would have 3:42's but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last that's for sure.

A little rust is no big deal but definitely try to stop it before it gets too far along if you like the truck and intend on keeping it. $5,000 seems pretty dang fair to me.
Let's see some pics when you get her home!

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. 10th digit of the VIN will be a T if 1996 or V if 1997. A K2500 Truck should have 4.10 gears with the towing package.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thank you for the vin verification. I knew there was an easy one I was missing.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
:lmao::lol:

DieselWeasle

Reaction score
Seller backed out, he's keeping the truck for his daughter who he originally bought it for, then she moved, now she's coming back and needs wheels.... I've been looking for another chevy, but no go. 2 dodges and a Ford(in my area), so I will be going back to what I'm familiar with.

For the future I have a lot more knowledge of Chevy's :) I'll be sure to find another 4x4 for a toy later on, sometime after winter is over

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hope to see you back! 400's make great toys. We all play with ours