New guy from Tn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm picking up a 1995 4 door, 4x4 Tahoe in a few weeks from my brother so I figured I'd go ahead and sign up on this site and get things started while I'm waiting on the truck.

First the truck:
I only have 1 photo of the truck, but its a foggy picture and its on my phone, so I'll just describe it as best I can. Its completely stock inside and out. The body is super straight and no rust that I've seen yet. Its got grey leather interior but the previous owner was a mechanic and it shows with all of the motor oil and grease that has been rubbed into the leather and the carpet. There are no tears or thin spots that I've found-just tons of surface area that needs a thorough scrubbing. The body has been POORLY repainted the original color of white, leaving me with all of the door trim painted white and several tall, thick paint runs in a few spots. I know it sounds horrible, but I promise its not as bad as it sounds.

Now for me:
I'm new to the 4x4 world. For the last 10+ years, I've only dealt with static dropped and airbagged minitrucks. I'm no stranger at all to modifying suspensions, customizing interiors, custom fabrication, etc. I've just been going down instead of coming up.

I plan on customizing the Tahoe to the hilt. Some influences will come from the custom minitruckin world (like shaving body/door trim and badges, sound deadening the roof &doors while improving the sound system, tinting the front 4 windows) and some will come from the off road world (like a lift kit, offroad style bumpers, LED light bar).

You guys will most likely see alot of my user name and even see a few "dumb" questions from me for a while until I get used to the truck and learn its ins and outs. Thanks in advance for any information you guys can offer and thanks for putting up with a 4x4 noobie.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome man!
As for the oil in the carpet, try some shout in the aerosol can, let it sit for 5-10 minutes then shampoo the p!ss out of it. It works wonders on my blue jeans after a day of wrenchin so I dont see why it wouldn't work on carpet.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll definitely give it a try.A can of shout is cheaper than replacement carpet.

Any idea on how to get the oil out of the leather? I'm afraid if I use something strong enough to scrub the oil out of the leather, the dye could come with it.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A magic eraser and some leather cleaner in a spray bottle. It'll take some work but is well worth it.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone spent a lot of time getting it dirty, don't expect it to come clean quickly. Lots of soapy water and a wet/dry vac will get a bunch of the big stuff, simple green does a decent job too.

LOWnEASY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have experience with leather, but I had a pair of pants at the bottom of a hamper soaked in oil for a wile, cause the ol lady didn't want to wash them, she found the shout in a aerosol can, sprayed half the can on them and threw them in the wash. Pulled them out and look almost brand new.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Welcome man. What part are you from?

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
:welcome:

And post some pics of the past rides :deal:

You must be registered for see images attach

This was the dash after I modified it the first time to fit a Double DIN stereo and relocated the hvac controls.

This is the dash I built for the truck once it become strictly a show truck. I removed all of the HVAC and put this in. My computer must have eat the pictures I had of the dash once it was finished. Its wrapped in black tweed with the face of it stained a deep cherry and covered in high gloss polyurethane. I'll get some pics of the dash this weekend if I get over to the truck.(I have it parked at my mother in laws.)

Welcome man. What part are you from?

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71
East Tn. Near Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg and Knoxville

Welcome to GMT400. Glad to have ya. Must feel like driving a tank after being in lowered mini-trucks.

Its totally different. The minitrucks were like riding skateboards compared to the Tahoe. I still love them slammed trucks. I just need a vehicle that I can fit into more easily as well as fit my family more comfortably for long trips.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333