New Exhaust.. Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 97 Tahoe LT 4Dr. 4x4. It has a single exhaust out the Right Pass. side. I'm thinking about doing a complete new exhaust system (Headers-TailPipes) I want duals out the back. I'm 16 and new at this so I need some help. I can fab. so I'm good on that. What I really need to know is how to do it. I also want to know opinions on Mufflers. Im thinking Super 10, Super 40, or Super 44. What one is the loudest? I want a deep throaty rumble at idle and I'd like it to be pretty loud at wide-open. Not too rediculous, or I would get glasspacks. I don't need deafening, just a throaty rumble. Would y'all reccommend anything different or a Magnaflow equivalent?

Thanks
~Jesse

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Ok for headers you can get Hooker 2462 for a tbi truck, they will need an extra O2 bungs welded in the collectors and an EGR tube welded on if you want to keep that, but everyone says they are great headers and they are cheaper than any of the vortec long tubes. From there you'll need to build a crossover pipe from the driver's side kinda like stock, but since the headers go further back you may have to find a different crossover point. Then high-flow cats (if you need them) to your mufflers and then out the back. I'd reccomend 2.25 or 2.5" pipe for duals and 3" for a single system. From the mufflers you mentioned, the Super 10 will be the loudest, but I wouldn't run it in a Tahoe beacuse you'll probably get a lot of drone. Maganflows drone less but are quieter so you'll have to figure out what you want on that. Sounds like a cool build though! Keep us posted!

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I'd go Supers 44s for the mufflers. There are many choices for headers but you can usually find them pretty cheap on eBay. Are you going to run a mid-pipe? Where do you plan on your pipes exiting?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
honestly, i guessing you got a 350? I just got my exhaust done last week. i changed up to headers, went from 2 1/4 pipe to 2 1/2, cat delete (no cats) to two magnaflow mufflers. with cat back exhaust 3 inche stainless tips. This turck has never sounded so Sweet ever. My uncle had it since i was little, he had it soundind nice, but not this nice. Its a nice Deep sound, its quiet if you want it to be.. but if you hammer it, thats when it sounds badass!

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I highly recommend Hooker AeroChamber mufflers. Great sound, fairly cheap, not a lot of drone when you're light on the gas, but when you step on it they wake up nicely.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 Sierra - Like I said, I'm new to the whole thing. I don't know what mid-pipe to run. H. X. True duals? Lol. Id like it to exit straight out the back or dump behind the rear tires on BOTH sides. Not sure yet.

eric.s.t. - Which Magnaflows do you run?

Wagonbacker - Thanks man, Ill check em out!

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out obx longtube headers on ebay they're. Like 250 shipped and are stainless.