New Engine install Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 97 K1500 and removed the old engine and put a stock long block in and probably missed something along the way. Trying to get it started for the first time. Have some components that aren’t powering up. Makes the “wurring” sound when you first turn the key, whatever that is.

What Doesn’t work:

Starter doesn’t seem to do anything when you try to turn it over

HVAC, Fans don’t turn on but air recirc and A/C button lights do when pressed

Wipers don’t work

Horn doesn’t

What does work:
Gauges/Warning lights
headlights/taillights/TS
Radio

Anyone have any ideas for trouble shooting it? This is my first time, so I’m going on dry

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wurring sound? Lol. I'd find that first. What all did you disconnect in this process. I would start there. Power. Grounds. Everything. Go back through everything you touched and make sure its tight and clean. And also anything you could have inadvertently damaged. A volt meter is your friend too.

Reaction score
Wurring sound? Lol. I'd find that first. What all did you disconnect in this process. I would start there. Power. Grounds. Everything. Go back through everything you touched and make sure its tight and clean. And also anything you could have inadvertently damaged. A volt meter is your friend too.

Whatever the sound is when you turn the key, but not all of the way to engage the starter.

Is there a good resource to get an idea of where all of the grounds are supposed to be? Either I don’t know how to read it or my Haynes manual is lacking on it. I Think I have a ground going from the frame to the cab and from the same area to the block up by the exhaust manifold. Seems like there should have been another one, but I have been working on it over several months and forgot.

I picked up an everstart multimeter from Walmart earlier. So if that’s the right thing hopefully I can figure out how to use it and go from there with it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a ground in the middle of the harness that runs down the front passenger side of the block. It bolts next to the timing cover. If you miss that, it won't start. Ask me how I know.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There's a ground in the middle of the harness that runs down the front passenger side of the block. It bolts next to the timing cover. If you miss that, it won't start. Ask me how I know.
Yup it's by where the fuel pump mounting boss is. Where the old school small blocks had a fuel pump that could be found in any parts store and could be changed out on the side of the highway with basic tools and a flashlight. Ask me how I know......