new distributor-now not running well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
it will start, it will run fine, but when i drove it, it died. then it acted like the battery was dead. after i let it sit for about 10 min, it started up. it hiccupped a couple times. i ran the scanner on it and got p0340 -camshaft position sensor and p1351-ignition coil control circuit high voltage. when i installed the distributor, i was not 100 percent certain that the body of it was correct, but it was close. could be 3/8 and inch off maximum.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3/8 is like a tooth or so off, better pull it, drop it and be sure it's exactly where it needs to be.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck info?...sounds like its out of time...and are those codes before or after you installed the distributor?

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Umm that's a good question cause I didn't know they had them...have just tried to wing it and move the distributor?

primal1

Reaction score
no. but everywhere is saying you have to scope a new distributor. i thought if i got close, i'd be fine.

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know normally after a distributor swap you have to hook it up to a scan tool to get the timing just right (cam retard 0+/-2 degrees)...is that what you meant by scope?

primal1

Reaction score
and now its not cranking very well. kind of like the battery is low. but the battery is fine.