New clutch high engagement point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, SewLow for the great link. GM are not the only company to employ a restrictor to soften clutch engagement, I know that BMW also do this with a device called a Clutch Delay Valve, which most self-respecting performance drivers have learned to hollow out.

vince_454

Reaction score
I successfully did it. i ended up using A slave cylinder from a 95 dodge ram with the 5.9 which had a 1"bore slave cylinder with a roll pin style and a bleeder screw. I reamed out the mounting plate off the silverado slave cylinder which was held in place by a cir-clip and then fit it over the ram slave cylinder and reinstalled the cir-clip. then i bled it and now it grabs about 1/3 off the floor and still completely disengages the new clutch. the pedal is a little lighter but that was to be expected. i also had to make a longer slave cylinder rod to compensate for the extra mounting space.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I successfully did it. i ended up using A slave cylinder from a 95 dodge ram with the 5.9 which had a 1"bore slave cylinder with a roll pin style and a bleeder screw. I reamed out the mounting plate off the silverado slave cylinder which was held in place by a cir-clip and then fit it over the ram slave cylinder and reinstalled the cir-clip. then i bled it and now it grabs about 1/3 off the floor and still completely disengages the new clutch. the pedal is a little lighter but that was to be expected. i also had to make a longer slave cylinder rod to compensate for the extra mounting space.
Thats the sign of a real mechanic. You want to make something work like you want it to, and you find a way, despite other people saying there is no way to do it, you just have to live with it. Grate job.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Welp, I just replaced the master & slave cylinder in our K1500 and notice the same thing. With the original stuff it would engage the clutch like I'm used to, about half of the pedal travel. But with the new stuff, it engages at about 1-2" from the top of the pedal travel. Not until after I was done with this fiasco did I even think that perhaps there's a difference in the slave's rod length. Guess I could still swap the old part back over. Everything was replaced since in the morning or when cold the clutch pedal sank half way to the floor and wouldn't disengage all the way until warm. I assumed this was the master cylinder checking out but I was there so replaced everything. Anyone else have that problem? Oh, and incase anyone else reads this, bleeding was a PITA. Finally found a tip that suggested putting the ass of the truck in the air when bleeding and that's what did it me.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
A follow up to this dead thread:
It took me a second to realize but after two weeks of everyday driving, the clutch engagement position has returned to what it was. So for anyone dealing with high initial clutch pedal engagement, drive the vehicle for awhile and see if anything changes.

Guess the thing does indeed self adjust over time. I can see how that would be irritating/frustrating in a situation where the vehicle isn't driven everyday or a lot, adjustment period would be much longer.