New clutch high engagement point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince_454

Reaction score
Alright so i just put a motor in my 1992 chevy k1500 4x4 5 speed single cab long box pickup and along with it i put in new gaskets and of course a new clutch I've been driving it around and the clutch is uncomfortably high in the engagement point it also has a new hydraulic clutch system and i thought new clutches were suppose to grab lower. anyways does anyone have a fix for this problem whether it be a shorter slave cylinder rod or a bigger bore slave cylinder that anyone knows of. all help would be very much appreciated. as a side note this is my first Chevy my only other vehicle has been a 97 2wd nissan hardbody. i never drove this truck before because the previous owner threw a rod through the oil pan. again thanks ahead of time for any input.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you're saying the when you let the clutch out it doesn't start grabbing until it's almost all the way out (too far from the floor)?

vince_454

Reaction score
yes exactly right, today i tried taking the old rod and grinding some off but the slave cylinder maxed out or something and the clutch pedal just stopped.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines the same, both with my old clutch and the new clutch/slave, it's always engaged at the top end of the pedal.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you adjust the clutch pedal travel. Is there an adjustment @ the top of the clutch pedal in the cab ? There should be some free travel in the pedal before the clutch engages, or even activates the slave cylinder.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no adjustment. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone

vince_454

Reaction score
well just an update it looks like ill be able to retrofit a Beretta or camaro slave cylinder to the truck. the Beretta slave bore is 1-1/4 bore and the camaro has a 1 inch bore vs the truck .787 inch bore which in turn should make a significant difference. i'll stay posted.

vince_454

Reaction score
thank you for the advice i will defiantly consider it but mine is an external slave cylinder not internal so im not sure if the external slaves had that problem.