New '95 suburban - new member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oltorftd

Reaction score
My names's John and I live in Provo, ut, but i'm from Austin, TX. I'm a grad student working on a PhD in developmental biology. I just bought a 1995 suburban off of my dad. I got a few ideas for it, after I finish a project on my 94 toyota pickup. The toyota blew a head gasket (at 130K miles :mad: so much for toyota indestructibility). My dad has been looking to sell this suburban for a while, since 4 of his 5 sons have moved out of the house.

About the truck:
180K miles
SLT trim
Red exterior/maroon leather interior
almost no issues - my dad babied this thing for the 11 years that he's had it.
It's not a Z71, I don't know why my dad stuck that sticker on there, but whatever.
Originally, we were only going to keep it for a while until I got finished with the 'yota, but i like it a ton better. The 'yota is better off road because it's smaller, but i like the suburban better. The toyota is my wife's.

I'd like to add some bigger tires and some different rims, maybe some ultra 164's. I'd like to make it a bit more off-road capable, maybe a lift. I want to swap in a 6.0 vortec and ZF6 transmission, but that will be a while. I would also like to convert the maroon leather interior to black... but... i have no idea how that's going to work. I don't want to paint the interior and make it all shiny.

I just added a media receiver today because there was no aux input in the stock stereo. I kept the stock CD player that's separate from the stock stereo. I'd like to hook that up to the CD changer input on the stereo. If anyone knows an adapter or something, or maybe a DVD player that I can put in that spot, let me know. That would be cool, but not necessary because I don't use CDs anymore.
Here it is:

You must be registered for see images attach

My brother also just got a 96 k1500, it's got 195K miles and it's a bit beat up. It needs a few hundred $$ worth of interior plastic pieces, the door sags pretty badly, and it needs paint. It's got a body lift and some 32" tires. I'll probably ask a few questions for him every once in a while. Randomly, it's not a Z71, either.
Here it is:

You must be registered for see images attach

That's my dog in front of it.

If you're curious about the toyota, it's covered in rust and just about every body panel and both bumpers need to be replaced. I painted the back end of the frame with por15 last year and replaced the shocks and leaf springs. My goal was to restore it and swap in a 3.4 from a 95-04 tacoma and add a TRD supercharger. It was a fun little truck, but with all the rust and the bad engine there's not much of the truck that's worth holding on to. It's a SR5 with the 3.0 V6 and 5 speed.

Ok, thanks for the help. If anyone has links to some of these questions, post 'em up. other wise i'll start doing searches.

Last edited:

CowlBoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
welcome!!! nice rides you & your brother got. So wat made you want to move to UTAH?

oltorftd

Reaction score
I got into grad school in utah, that's why i moved up here. I wanted to go to UT in austin, but i didnt get in. Utah has tons of public land so I can go shooting or off roading just about anywhere i want, that's one up side, and there's tons of national parks and stuff. i think 80% of the world's slot canyons are up here. If you haven't hiked one of those, i'd highly recommend it. There's also goblin valley and moab and only a few hours away from yellowstone.

but i'll probably move back to texas when i'm done with school.