Need some help with my seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I've had my truck for about 3 years now and one of the things that just absolutely bugs the **** out of me is the fact that the lever to allow people into the back seat on my seats doesn't work the way it should. I know the lever should drop the backrest part of the seat forward then move the entire seat forward along the rails to allow people to get in. Well mine only drops the backrest foward then I have to manually move the rest of the seat forward. Any idea on what I need to do to correct this? Thanks in advanced for any info.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
On some of the older seats, there was a huge coil spring under there that assisted the seat moving forward. If the seats have been in their normal position for long periods, the spring has probably been "sprung" and lost most of it's tensile strength. You could try replacing it with a new one, if it has that kind of setup under there.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spring is fine I'm pretty sure of that. What I think happened is who ever had the truck before me put in a "custom upholstry" and they half assed putting the seats back together. The lever that releases the seat is in the wrong position, and it doesn't I guess "release" the seat to slide foward for entry. The passenger side seat still adjusts fine, and the driver side is power. So... :think:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah, well have you tried looking under/around there with a flashlight while someone operates the lever? Since you said it takes your help moving it forward, I figured the latch/release mechanism worked fine, but it just wasn't sliding forward on it's own. That usually means the spring....or a helluvalotta crap built up in the runners.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's an idea I'll just have to try. lol Why the hell does this forum log me out every 5 minutes? Its really annoying usually other forums will keep me logged in for weeks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When you move the seat forward, after releasing the backrest, do you have to release the track with the handle under the front? Or can you move it as soon as the backrest is flipped forward without using the front release?
Seems to me that when you flip the backrest forward, the whole seat should slide forward without using the front release. There should be a rod or cable connecting the backrest release to the tracks, so that the one handle does both jobs. That will be inside the outer cushion cover. Have to open up the seat to access that. Gotta do this on the bench. You might be able to remove the plastic clips on the underside edge of the cover while the seats are in the truck, but you won't be able to get it back on.
I've seen mechanisms installed wrong, or not tightened down properly, or even rotated 90-180 degrees.
Sounds like you may have to pull the cover off to get at the mechanisms to see what may be broken, missing or installed wrong.
If the seats been messed with before there could be any # of things. I think that the big spring underneath the seat may be installed wrong. Common mistake of someone that didn't check after the upholstery job, either because of lack of time or experience.
If you are to work on this yourself, a couple of safety warnings.
Undo the front floor bolts first, slide the seat forward, then remove the rear bolts. Not only does this let the seat stand on it's own on the bench, but if you do it in the opposite (Back bolts first) the seat will flip & fall all over the bench, fighting you all the way, If you happen to hit the release for the tracks, the spring, when properly installed, will fire those tracks from one end to the other with such force, it WILL cause serious damage to your fingers if they are in the way. I mean serious damage! Broken if not removed digits!
The same goes for the backrest release mechanism. With the backrest in place, the weight of it will slow the mechanism down. Without the backrest, the springs will snap the mechanism forward faster than you can blink an eye. So, flip the backrest forward before you try to seperate the back rest from the cushion.
Let me know what you find. Pix? Questions?

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks alot sewlow what you first had said is exactly whats going on. So you hit it on the nail letting me know there's a rod that should release the whole thing. This is gonna be a pain in the ass since I have buckets and both are jacked up the same. And thanks for the saftey tips I did upholstry for 3 years in my uncles shop, mostly boats, but a couple of mid 80s chevy trucks too, and I have so many scars on my hands from that stuff I really cant count them all lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I should post some pix of my mitts, but I don't want to gross anybody out!
I see where Truckin' has been posting wiring & body panel diagrams. Maybe he could post some schematics for seats?
Let me know how things work out.