Need some help with a no start problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am at my wits end with my truck not starting.
It started Friday the 13th, go figure, I got home from work and it died right in my parking spot, and hasn't started since. It had started just fine at work and ran fine and started at the couple stops I made on the way home that day.
So that weekend I through a fuel filter at it in hopes it was that simple, no luck. While I had that line disconnected I checked to see if I was getting any fuel, and it wasn't pumping anything.
So I checked fuses and all was good there, so I ordered a Delphi pump.
Due to health issues, I was unable to put it in until yesterday, but I am still not getting any fuel.
I did some research online and someone somewhere suggested a fuel pump relay, so I replaced that, no luck.
I do not know where to go next as this is beyond my knowledge of vehicles at this point.
I do remember the check gauges light coming on just before it died that Friday, but I am not sure if that was a code or just because the engine died.
This is on a 1993 K1500 with a 350.
Just to recap, truck died, I threw a fuel filter, pump and pump relay at it and it still won't start.
Help!!!!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Will it turn over but just wont fire? If so, have you checked for spark also?

Most fuel problems is ignition related and vice-versa. The ignition control module would give you a sudden death event like you experienced but I am unsure if it would also cause the fuel pump to not prime?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
If your fuel pump isn't priming, then it could be either the pump itself is bad (which IIRC can be tested using power/ground hookups) or some relay isn't triggering to prime when the key is turned. I've heard of this happening before, but I can't for the life of me remember what the fix was. I would replace the ICM (I think this was the part in question that fixed the issue last time) since you can get one on RockAuto for under $50, and see if your issue clears up. If not, throw positive and negative to the fuel pump itself and see if it primes (I'm sure someone else could go into more detail on testing to see if the fuel pump primes).

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It fires when if I put some fuel in the TBI, it'll burn through that and die again.
I can hear the fuel pump relay click on when I turn the key, does that help?
What is the best way to provide direct power to the pump to test it?

Where is the ICM located?

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked up where the ICM is located.
Would that being bad stop the fuel pump from working? And would the truck run like it does with fuel being added directly if that was bad?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It fires when if I put some fuel in the TBI, it'll burn through that and die again.
I can hear the fuel pump relay click on when I turn the key, does that help?
What is the best way to provide direct power to the pump to test it?

Where is the ICM located?
There is a pigtail right next to the fuel pump relay that can be used to power the pump..

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that the ICM is ok if the truck starts for a bit when fuel is added directly to the throttle body?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think so. It can ignite what fuel it has but there is no additional fuel being delivered.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I am going to try to test the pump this afternoon, it's hard to find time during the week as we only have 1 vehicle so by the time I get home, I only have about 20 minutes before I have to go get my wife again, then dinner, then kids to bed, etc, etc....