Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigner1616

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
hello, can someone help me figure out what’s going on here this is my first truck and I’d like to know what needs to be fixed thank you!!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, we need more info on your truck. What year is it? What engine? Is it a 2WD or a 4x4? Where is that drive shaft coming out of, and where is it going? The more info you put in your post, the easier it is to help. We are not there to look for our selves, so we only have what you tell us as a guide.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello, can someone help me figure out what’s going on here this is my first truck and I’d like to know what needs to be fixed thank you!!
Would I be correct in saying that you have a you have a 4x4 with a 4l60e transmission? That's what it looks like from the photo.

The first picture could be from a number of things, but my guess is that its engine oil and not transmission fluid. I think oil leaking from the engine is being blown back onto the trans from maybe a valve cover or something.

Now when it comes to the second picture, it looks like your output shaft seal is leaking; in order to fix this, all you have to do is pull the driveshaft, pry the seal out, then press in the new one using a hammer and some sort of tube that fits around the metal ring (I've had to do this at the side of the road before after the seal came unseated and got shredded).

Bigner1616

Reaction score
Well, we need more info on your truck. What year is it? What engine? Is it a 2WD or a 4x4? Where is that drive shaft coming out of, and where is it going? The more info you put in your post, the easier it is to help. We are not there to look for our selves, so we only have what you tell us as a guide.
It’s a 4x4 this is the rear drive shaft coming out of transfer case it’s a 5.7 vortec

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A good place to start, is where @jjester6000 mentioned in his post. I did figure that it was a 4x4 and. 4L60E trans, but like I said, we are not there to see what is what.

Bigner1616

Reaction score
Would I be correct in saying that you have a you have a 4x4 with a 4l60e transmission? That's what it looks like from the photo.

The first picture could be from a number of things, but my guess is that its engine oil and not transmission fluid. I think oil leaking from the engine is being blown back onto the trans from maybe a valve cover or something.

Now when it comes to the second picture, it looks like your output shaft seal is leaking; in order to fix this, all you have to do is pull the driveshaft, pry the seal out, then press in the new one using a hammer and some sort of tube that fits around the metal ring (I've had to do this at the side of the road before after the seal came unseated and got shredded).
I will look into that thank you very much