Need help on fuel pump harnes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lit549

Reaction score
So i replaced the fuel pump awhile back on my 98 z71,i went with the delphi pump..Recently ive had a cel code p0452 and 0463( fuel level sensor high/open)..Im wondering if i didnt wire up the "upgrade " harness right? The trucks wire colors are gray,2 blacks(one small on bigger),and a purple.The harness has gray,black,orange and purple..I wired it gray to gray(power)..********* to black on harness,small black to orange on the harness and purple to purple..Is this wrong?should the purple harness wire be switched with the orange wire??Pretty sure the bigger black wire is the pump ground..Lost instructions and cant find any online..The gauges flutters a little the way it is but works,but i have that 0463 code..Any help would be great..
hard to tell the colors in pic but far left is gray,next is biggerblack wire,orange to small blck,and purple to purple

You must be registered for see images attach

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how did you connect the wires inside what looks like the tape? If you just twisted the 2 wires together and wrapped them up I would suggest trying checking the connections and maybe try soldering the wires together and heat shrinking over the bare wires. I would use the heat shrink that has the gooey stuff inside it that helps it seal. I got a cheap soldering iron off amazon for like 10 bucks and it came with solder..

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is what came with my Denso pump.

I used the included butt connectors that had heat shrink covers on them, and then put shrink tubinf over that, and then the wire loom and tape.

I also dipped the end of each wire into dielectric grease before crimping the connectors.

lit549

Reaction score
how did you connect the wires inside what looks like the tape? If you just twisted the 2 wires together and wrapped them up I would suggest trying checking the connections and maybe try soldering the wires together and heat shrinking over the bare wires. I would use the heat shrink that has the gooey stuff inside it that helps it seal. I got a cheap soldering iron off amazon for like 10 bucks and it came with solder..
They're soldered I just didn't have any shrink wrap.

lit549

Reaction score
This is what came with my Denso pump.

I used the included butt connectors that had heat shrink covers on them, and then put shrink tubinf over that, and then the wire loom and tape.

I also dipped the end of each wire into dielectric grease before crimping the connectors.

Looks like I have it right.Thanks for posting that!I did find where I guess I installed tank and got the harness wires in between tank and the brace,there isn't any exposed wires but they were squished pretty good.Guess they could be damaged in the insulation?

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If everything worked right after the initial fuel pump install then the wire color match up for the new connector shouldn't be the problem I wouldn't think. The bouncing gauge needle along with the codes may indicate a fuel level sending unit on the way out or possibly a broken wire between the tank and computer.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years of green copper under vehicles, I solder everything, have 5/16" shrink tubing on a 50ft 3m roll on cardboard wheel and 6 tubes of dielectric grease.

I hate scotch-locks, but I did make a lot of money because of them :)