Need help and have a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the 88 (305) is cutting out and sputtering of all over itself, i replaced the fuel filter the other day and that didnt help any thing. So is the fuel pump going for the atleast 4th time of its life? (the old owners wrote down every thing they did to it and its had 4 or 5 fuel pums, on its 3 fuel filter, and like 3rd starter) Is there any thing else that it might be that is causing it to run like the fuel pump is going bad?
Now for the 94's problem, the other day my aunt and uncle used it to haul some pavers and when they brought it back the hose that goes from the manifold to the heater core was leaking, which it has done it after both times the truck has been under a load. When we finally got around to fixing it, on the test ride the ac started leaking water on the passenger side floor board, so does anyone know what is wrong there?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
88 = plugs, cap, rotor, wires, & coil. Rapid fire plugs.

94 = heater core, & while it's out, a cooling system flush. Sounds like the heater hoses & heater core, are plugged. This has happened on both of my trucks. At the very least, remove the heater hoses & blow them out. But, the rad is probably in the same condition. Don't bother fixing that, new ones are fairly inexpensive. The block, more than likely, has a lot of crud in it too, but the hoses & core plug 'cause they are the areas of the most restriction.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88 = plugs, cap, rotor, wires, & coil. Rapid fire plugs.

94 = heater core, & while it's out, a cooling system flush. Sounds like the heater hoses & heater core, are plugged. This has happened on both of my trucks. At the very least, remove the heater hoses & blow them out. But, the rad is probably in the same condition. Don't bother fixing that, new ones are fairly inexpensive. The block, more than likely, has a lot of crud in it too, but the hoses & core plug 'cause they are the areas of the most restriction.

Sewlow is right on the money on both of the statements! For your 88, I would start by testing the coil, the symptoms sound exactly like a coil or distributer to me. Check the distributer itself as well as the cap and rotor. The magnet in the dist tends to rust and crack on a lot of the TBI motors, and that will also give you the same symptoms as a faulty fuel pump or filter.