Need compressor recomendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok, so this is not "exactly" a bagged suspension question, but I do have Firestone helper bags on the rear of the truck. :)

I figured if I was going to get a recommendation for a compressor, the air suspension guys would be the ones to ask.

My needs are small:

1. Air the helper bags up and down, about 20-50 psi at most and pretty low volume. Time for air up and down is not a concern.
2. Run a Bendix 2 tone commercial air horn I recently purchased
3. Keep a 5 gallon air pig (I already have one around) up to about 100-120 psi (to run said accessories and maybe top off a tire now and then)

I would like a 100% duty cycle pump, I don't want to fuss with on/off times. I intend to "set it and forget it".

Not super concerned on noise, but as always quieter the better (although my diesel is only ever going to be so quiet).

needs to be a 12 volt jobbie. No room underhood for a York or similar (I have dual alts plus all the assorted OEM stuff).

I'm a fan of overkill, so extra capacity is welcome. I'm not planning to ever use air tools away from the garage, but the option to do so would be nice.

I would consider a compressor and tank combo if it meets the stipulation in the line immediately below.....

Now the kicker: I'd like to get away with no more than 100 bucks. Shipping is going to be bad to where I am, so I need to try and keep costs down.

Used would be an option if anyone wants to kick up a lovingly used unit at a decent price...:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ended up picking up a Thomas 405 ADC 38/12 compressor for 70 bucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

100 psi and .8 cfm which should be fine for just infrequent use filling my tank for the air horns and adjusting the rear Firestone's.

Its continuous duty rated, which is great!

Thomas is commercial grade and makes most of what you can buy aftermarket in 12v compressors. Stuff like airide and Currie.

Considering its just over 400 bucks new, I'm happy with 70 bucks used.

:)

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lovely, just lovely.

On a whim, I chucked $25 bid on an ebay York compressor (well, 27.76, I always put odd numbers on my bids) Having seen them go for stupid money on the 'bay, I figured no chance and just forgot about the auction.

Then and email comes in: congratulations! Enjoy your new compressor! Pay now! 26 bucks!

Aw crap. I never figured it would go that low. They all seem to go for at least 50+ bucks.

Now I have the Thomas and the York.....york needs more money and bits and it would be total overkill. But I would be able to air up tires and run air tools. Could also come in helpful once the truck goes into ground search duty.

Then again, the Thomas would be just fine for what I need it for and is a simple electrical hook up.

Sheesh, feast or famine.

Guess I will move into a different forum than "lowered and bagged suspensions" as this has gone down a road that doesn't really fit in this forum any more.....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give you your money back on the York if you decide not to use it....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Somehow I figured that's what you'd say :nono:

Depending on what you believe on the internet, they're only about that much from a scrap yard in the states anyways.

Not so much in Canada. Assuming you can even find anything that old in a yard east of Saskatchewan.

I think its how it was listed on eBay that got me off so cheap. It wasn't listed as a York, which would have had the 4x4 sharks circling it from day one. It was listed as a 65-68 Ford Thunderbird AC compressor. I happened across it in an unrelated search for stuff for my 62 tbird and the rest you already know...

:)